Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Intro to Clawhammer: Banjo Ben Live Course!

This is the thread where you can post your questions & videos for feedback!

3 Likes

I’m registered and looking forward to the course (the link is on the ticket, right?). Although I’m not new to clawhammer style, I’m really happy to be able to support it’s addition to BanjoBenClark.com. I’m not giving up my bluegrass or Bach, but love clawhammer, esp., old-timey stuff. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Great! Thanks for supporting! Yep, the link is on the ticket!

Y’all post your questions and video submissions here! I had a blast with y’all tonight!

2 Likes

The format was laid back and fun as expected. Dave assumes some of the students will have zero experience, so it’s not intimidating at all, but still challenging for experienced 3-finger bluegrass banjo players. I’m glad I signed up for it and spent some time tonight afterwards working on the exercises and the first song. I have no regrets for taking the class. Playback will be available and not having been in the first live session will not hamper the instructional value whatsoever.

5 Likes

After I signed up for the course I went to some beginner clawhammer videos on youtube to get a headstart on the course. Thankfully I didn’t practice a lot as I had already made two of the most common mistakes that Dave mentioned. After playing three finger banjo and struggling to fix bad habits this info was great.

2 Likes

Yea!! That’s great to hear @dd1

1 Like

I noticed that when I strike the first string it sounds dead. HELP ME, haha

Could be lots of things, @dannleslie, like not getting good contact. You may be interested in trying a clawhammer pick like the Atomic Minstrel or the Alaskan.

I noticed that Dave’s instrument does not have an armrest. The Gold Tone CB 100 that I recently purchased does and it sits about 1/2 inch or so above the rim. I do not see any way that it can be adjusted. I have been experiencing soreness where my forearm meets the armrest. Could it be relieved by replacing the armrest (Dr Arm Banjo Armrest) or removing it altogether? Or is this simply due to tension on my part?

Off to a great start. Only issue I have is now I want to buy one of Dave’s banjos to go with my Huber. And I will make it to a cabin camp at some point, I am one state a way in KY.

Thanks I have been having trouble trying to use my middle finger striking the strings. Moving to the index finger seems to be the answer for me. Took the tension out of my hand and improved accuracy. Thanks again!

I got an Atomic Minstrel pick from BanjoBen store and it is the best of the clawhammer picks I have tried. None of the others felt right or stayed in place. When my nail breaks, I use my Atomic Minstrel. Of course I am still learning this clawhanner thing so take that with a grain of salt.

1 Like

So, I really hate having my picture taken and I have no clue how to post a video, but I would like some guidance from Dave (an unexpected bonus). Do you have a page that explains the process so I don’t foul it up? I’m not real proficient on the interwebs.

All you need to do is have a youtube account. Post a video there, then click “share” on that video and copy the URL. You can then paste that URL in a reply here and the video will pop up.

Wanting one of my banjos is not an “issue” as far as I’m concerned ! Come on down to Nashville for the Cabin Camp this October, - there’s still a few spots left in my clawhammer class, and I’ll have several of my banjos on hand for students to try out and enjoy. We’re gonna have a great time!

3 Likes

Thanks! I really enjoyed the kick-off session last night, and excited you’re adding clawhammer to your world of music!

1 Like

I strongly suspect the culprit might be one of the fingers adjacent to the one you’re using to strike the target string. For instance, if you are striking the note with your index finger, it can be a little tricky to keep the middle finger (or another finger) from bumping into the string at almost the same time, thus deadening the note. Try SLOWING way down until you can strike a good clean note. You may not even be able to see what the problem was, but practice the motion and angle that gets you a clean note over and over again. Speed it up when you’re comfortable with it, but slow back down if it sounds muffled or dead again. With enough practice, your hand will naturally memorize the angles and motion that get you a clean note.

2 Likes

Thanks! I’m glad you’re already working at it. I played bluegrass style banjo beforehand, so I understand well the challenge of getting your fingers to “stop thinking and acting” like individuals. Keep on practicing, - it’'ll get more and more natural, and fun, each time you do!

2 Likes

Wonderful to hear this! Yes, - watch your fingers and thumb very close for those easy-to-make mistakes, and stare and growl at them until they start to obey. It’ll come natural soon enough. No flicking fingers, no wiggly thumb, no air thumb, and no double bouncin’ thumbs allowed!

1 Like