Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Intermediate Class with Munde... Implementing

Alan did a good job teaching the “systems” (diatonic chords.) When I got home I tried to incorporate the systems into a song. It’s not as easy as I first thought. It was difficult for me to figure out “when” to start the chord progression so that I would land on the target chord at the right time (remember Alan’s stock market analogy of “when to sell”).

I picked a random song in StrumMachine and tried doing the chord progressions. My brain just wasn’t figuring out when/where to put the diatonic chords to use. StrumMachine has a feature that allows you to create your own songs. I created a new version of the song with the diatonic chords. Now, rather than thinking about what I’m doing, I can just focus on the actual playing of the song. See below for what I did.

After I become adept at using the diatonic chords then I’ll go back and play them over the original version of the song.

BTW… if you’re not familiar with StrumMachine… it’s a must have. It’s $5 a month or $50 a year. I believe that they offer a two week free trial. Here’s the link Strum Machine

8 Likes