Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Increasing notes pitch and frequencies in a scale

This is the chat GPT answer to my question regarding the order of frequencies (pitches):

In standard G tuning (gDGBD) for a 5-string banjo, the frequencies of the open strings are as follows:

1. 5th string (G4) : approximately 392 Hz
  2. 4th string (D3) : approximately 146.83 Hz
  3. 3rd string (G3) : approximately 196 Hz
  4. 2nd string (B3) : approximately 246.94 Hz
  5. 1st string (D4) : approximately 293.66 Hz

If B3, D3 and G3 are in the same scale and octave, why does B3 have a higher frequency and therefor ahigher pitch than D3 and G3 which are further to the right on a scale?

Also, can I assume that a note in a lower octave (ie D3) will have a lower pitch & Frequency as the same note in a higher octave (ie D4). Help, I need to understand this.

1 Like

Hey Victor! Welcome to the forum!

The octaves start and end on C. So, B3 is actually the highest note in the 3rd octave, and the next note up would be C4 (middle C). It seems confusing because G comes after B in the alphabet, but it makes sense once you redefine the starting point as C:

C3 - D3 - E3 - F3 - G3 - A3 - B3 - C4

Yep!

You don’t really need to worry about the octave names when playing banjo, but it’s good that you’re diving into music theory. Glad to have you on the forum!

2 Likes

Hi @vea1960 Victor welcome to @BanjoBen 's Forum

I am just a low-lay banjo player the only time I used frequency, wavelength and modulation was as a radio operator in the army but that was many moons ago.

2 Likes

If you do want to get a feel for the frequencies behind a note (like for adjusting an eq and such), the handiest thing is that an octave is a doubling of a lower frequency. Combine that with knowing a few note’s frequencies and you can get a pretty good idea of the frequency of any note.

3 Likes

Thanks Michael
It makes sense now.
Much appreciated.

3 Likes

Thanks Mike
Had 1 yr of physics in college and it helps me to understand some of it.

2 Likes