Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

I'm learning the Mando!

Yep, that’ s right. You betcha. My uncle has a beginner mandolin und he said i could use it for a few month, so here i go. I’ll probably get a nicer one once he wants it back. Suprisingly, i have found it much easier to learn than any other instrument i’ve ever learned. Like seriously, i picked it up for the first time and i was playing @BanjoBen’s arrangment of Down to the River within an hour almost flawlessly. And i have never ever played mando before. Next time i have time to practice i’ll learn mando backup a bit better. I’ve already figured out some but not enough to play in a jam. Anyone know why it’s coming along so easily?? Maybe because i have the music knowledge downpat and listen to lots of bluegrass? Maybe. Who knows. All i know is that i sure don’t mind it!! :wink:

10 Likes

An existing musical background, and talent. :+1:

3 Likes

Congrats! That was the first tune I learned to play as well on my first day. I think something about that arrangement was just easy to pick up, as I have essentially no practical skills on mandolin besides a decent chop. Suprisingly, I’m finding fiddle to be way easier than mandolin for me.

5 Likes

Ya i figured it was probaly an easier song. So now your learning the fiddle? I’m hoping to learn that one yet someday. Most likely dobro will be coming sometime end of next year and fiddle will be after that. btw, how are you learning the fiddle? my sis is wanting to learn but we can’t get lessons with covid.

3 Likes

I’m taking lessons from a violinist who goes to my church.

5 Likes

I love playing the Mandolin first tune I learned was amazing grace
its great that you were able to pick it up and start playing it took me for ever to kind of learn and I am still not proficient enough to call myself a mando player

3 Likes

Mandolin is fairly intuitive because it’s fifths, and if you already have a musical background, especially in bluegrass, it will come easily. I played guitar and fiddle before mandolin, and anyone who heard me play on my first day would’ve assumed I’d been playing for quite some time.

Oh wow. That’s interesting, fiddle isn’t called the devil’s box for nothing, it’s hard :joy:

3 Likes

Dude seriously, I love fiddle because I don’t need to play as many consecutive notes (since mandolin has quick decay). And the bowing isn’t really as hard as I thought it would be.

3 Likes

Yeah, I do really like the sustain of fiddle. I think I found it easier than most, but I’ve just started getting into 3rd position double stops, which are very hit or miss

3 Likes

They are the death of me.

3 Likes