Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

I want to play better!

Hey everyone!

I’ve been playing bluegrass guitar for bout, a year now, and I feel like I should be playing , faster, more accurate, cleaner and just better! So I was wondering if Ya’ll have any advice for my problem in my guitar journey?

Is there any material I need to be learning to be a better a player?
Any exercises?

Blessings!

2 Likes

Warning: I’m gonna say what no one ever wants to hear. Start slow. Focus on accuracy. Measure the speed at which you can play accurately with a metronome. As your accuracy develops, notch up the BPM ever so slightly. Wash, rinse, repeat until you get to the desired tempo. Being that all of Ben’s videos can be speed adjusted, they offer the same opportunity as stated above. Your feeling about where you should be is shared. I’m certain that wherever you are, you’re further along than you were a year ago. It’s an ongoing and never ending journey. Enjoy it :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Hi @sonovtheking Chris
I am NOT a guitar player so take my advice with a pinch of salt. I would say in my experience as a banjo student here on banjobenclark.com these past 11 years. There are enough lessons here to help you achieve the goals you seek to achieve. If there is anything you think is missing or could be improved upon just give @BanjoBen a hollier and I am sure he will do his best to accommodate you.

I would say the best way to improve your playing is through self help. The lessons Ben has created here on the site are of excellent quality and the TABs are pretty accurate. But it is up to you as a student to follow his instructions, paying particular attention to the video instruction, fretting, pick stroke direction and the onscreen instructions. Practicing with the aid of the TEF Tab files to ensure accuracy. Developing fluidity and speed with the aid of the MP3 Audio Tracks.

When I was a young lad learning a skilled trade took five years as an Apprentice with a further three years as a Journeyman before a man could consider himself as a qualified Tradesman so bear this in mind as you study.

Accuracy not Speed should be your ultimate goal. If you pick with accuracy speed will follow with experience. Watch carefully how Ben frets the strings, how he moves from one position to the next to arrive at a target note at the right time. If you are fumbling with the fretboard you are not going to be accurate and you are not going to play fast. So focus on what’s important NOW and don’t try to get ahead of your skill level. If you work your way through Ben’s lessons at your own pace you will make steady progress and constantly adding to your skill level. More than that I will leave for others to fill in the gaps.

A final note. There will be times when you may feel you are marking time. Making little progress or at a stand still. This is NORMAL in the learning process. Take a short break and give your brain a brief rest. When you return you should find the going is easier and more achievable.

oldbanjoe50

2 Likes

@sonovtheking
Sounds to me like you have pick hand issues.

1. Ensure the pick hand is moving freely and accurately between the strings. Particularly practice cross picking and string skipping lessons, besides regular lessons. This is for clean picking.
  2. Audit where you apply pressure for your pick hand. I remember @scott_wilson mentioning a valuable, original suggestion for where to apply the pressure - in chest/shoulder area so that the wrist is relaxed (not sure I’m phrasing or conveying it correctly) to achieve optimum speed.
  3. Ensure you have proper pick grip so as to allow/achieve free/smooth pick movement and equal speed in both directions - downward and upward (my original suggestion unless it is a known). This improves accuracy and speed. Otherwise, this will be a speed impediment. Usually, downward would be faster than upward. Check out Ben’s videos for pick hand/grip suggestions.

In addition, practice more and more, whatever tab you could find, using correct techniques. Record and post audio, video so Ben and others could help remedy your issues and to ensure that you progress.

2 Likes

Thank you! Your advice has really helped me.

1 Like

@JohnM
Thank you so much I’ll take these steps and use them! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

@Archie
thank you! and yes, I’ll never underestimate an old man with a banjo! :laughing:

3 Likes