Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

I Made a Dobro!

Today I decided I wanted to play dobro. So I got the trashy old Harmony guitar out of the basement and started playing it like a dobro. The action was so high I could almost get away with it :wink:. Once I figured out why the octave was at the 11th fret (the bridge is movable :man_facepalming:) I found a piece of angle iron to make a nut riser out of.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dKIwlQqwAQm1_TyPOej3aj6JuQEXyPhN/view?usp=sharing

After fiddling around with the intonation a bit (ok, way too much) I started to learn to play it. I translated several songs from banjo/guitar that I already knew, and recorded a couple. Please critique me, I have had zero lessons and watched no YouTube videos. I’m still using a hex wrench adapter as a slide. :wink:

Also, anyone know any good YouTube channels or free websites I can learn some basic technique from? Any good places to find tabs?

19 Likes

Wow that’s really cool! Ingenuity can take you anywhere :wink:

4 Likes

Good use of the time! Music sounds decent too!

2 Likes

Not a bad start, and there’s really nothing wrong with that for practicing at all. I would try to get a real tone bar soon though. It is important for your position and learning proper technique.

Sounds good!

7 Likes

And as far as getting tabs and instruction,I’d highly recommend ArtistWorks. It’s not free but there’s a ton on there. There is a pretty decent library of free tabs on Reso Hangout as well. I’ve also heard good things about Jimmy Heffernan’s site, which is currently having a sale, although I have not tried it personally.

I am a member of Rob Ickes’s site, ArtistWorks, and I’ve purchased a few of Troy Brenningmeyer’s lessons. I’ve also gotten a few one on one Skype lessons.

7 Likes

Also, in case you hadn’t seen these:

5 Likes

Good job Harrison that’s a great start!

4 Likes

Why does that not surprise me? That’s impressive and nice job playing.

2 Likes

Hi Harrison These should help you get started.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkQ8nkkN7OMcEXNphLavbRg/videos

2 Likes

Thanks for the encouragement everyone! I did see that at the store @Luke_L, I was thinking of getting that but I didn’t feel like waiting for it. I still need to order a dobro slide from the General Store though.

4 Likes

Aha! Welcome to the jungle… lol
That sounds great, definitely get a real slide asap, as it’s a very different feel, and you should be learning proper technique. Jimmy Heffernan is having a huge sale right now, I just joined his site and I definitely recommend it.
I look forward to seeing you playing it more

2 Likes

Nice use of an old beater guitar. Great job!

3 Likes

Exvellent H! How’s it coming along now?

2 Likes

I haven’t practiced it a whole lot but it sure is fun to play, even though it sounds terrible. I still want to get a real dobro, or maybe even a pedal steel guitar…

4 Likes

Watch the classifieds at resohangout. There’s almost always a really good deal on something over there. That’s where I got my dobro

4 Likes

Do it! Pedal steel has been my dream for a long time but I doubt I’ll ever play one considering the $$$ :worried:

4 Likes

I have bought a couple from there as well. Great place to start.

2 Likes