Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

I lost my cousin yesterday

Sorry, this one’s a downer. My dear cousin lost her son (my 1st cousin once removed) from an overdose night before last. He was in his early twenties and has struggled with depression and addiction for years. Despite all efforts of his family and friends and previous overdoses, he was determined and seemed driven to this conclusion.

Folks, they’re all around us and they’re close to us; they’re family, coworkers and friends of ours. Be watchful and vigilant and ready to step in with love, prayer and help. Sometimes, there’s nothing you can do, sometimes they just don’t want help, but you’ll be ever regretful if you don’t try.

I can’t even imagine what she is going through right now. It’s a horrible thing to outlive your own child under any circumstances. If you feel so moved, say a prayer for our family. My cousin is Rebecca and her son is Mason.

When I got the news, this was on my FB newsfeed and I had just started listening and had to click pause when the phone rang. After the call I just watched this a few times and cried for a while. Hey @Lee_G, tell the band I say ta, will ya? It was perfect timing.

9 Likes

Sorry to hear that! I’ll keep them in my prayers :pray:

7 Likes

Sad to say, but “Been there, done that.” I lost my son to suicide a few years ago after years of a relentless struggle.
Our prayers for Rebecca include a visit from the angel of consolation.
Mason left his gifts behind. I pray the family never loses sight of them.
And when your cosin suddenly wells up with tears, do not think there is something wrong.
It may just be a visit from Mason.

7 Likes

I’m very sorry to hear that, @MissMaggie. I wish I had known before and could have been of help.

2 Likes

Very sorry to hear about your loss. You’re right, it’s all around and I imagine that most of us have been dealt this type of blow somewhere along the way. Our prayers for you and the family.

5 Likes

So sorry! Prayer said.

4 Likes

@MissMaggie, so sorry to hear of this sad news. Your family is in our prayers.

5 Likes

You and your family and the issue(s) regarding are in our thoughts and prayers :pray::purple_heart:. Very sorry to hear of your loss.

4 Likes

Sorry Maggie and Joe. :pray:

4 Likes

A like seems inappropriate so I offer my condolences.

5 Likes

So sorry to hear this @MissMaggie. I will definitely pray for your cousin Rebecca and the family.

5 Likes

I am praying for you and your family, @MissMaggie!

Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. -John 14:27

7 Likes

So sorry to hear this. You’re right. We often have no idea the people that need help are right next to us. :cry:

6 Likes

Sorry to hear the sad news and hope the song has provided some help we’re praying for you all

4 Likes

A prayer for you and yours in this time of sadness. My heart felt condolences to all .:cry:

4 Likes

Hey @MissMaggie, I am very sorry to hear about your cousin. :pensive: I like the verse that @Michael_Mark used. Claim the promises of that verse(John 14:27 KJV) and maybe share this with your family. I will have you guys in my prayers.

3 Likes

My family is praying for your family. We’re sorry for your loss.

5 Likes

I’m so very sorry, my friend. God’s peace on the family.

6 Likes

Thanks everyone for your replies, love and prayers.

The relapse and overdose rate has increased by 30% since March 2020. Mental health issues related to our lock down and the pandemic are especially hard for people with depression.

NAMI, The National Alliance on Mental Health has a 24-hour helpline: 800-950-6264.

I’m putting a face to this issue. This is my cousin Mason. His parents and brother are in agony right now. Please keep a watchful eye on those around you and reach out if you suspect anything. RIP Mason.

8 Likes

Oh Maggie I am so sorry. It is so sad to lose a life that way. He really didn’t want to die, just to leave his pain. It is impossible to understand what someone else is going through. The chemicals that are out there that destroy our loved ones.
Praying for your cousin and family and you.
Peggy

5 Likes