Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

I can’t seem to get my strap or sitting position right!

I’m a new banjo player and ordered Banjo Ben’s neotech strap. I don’t know if it’s too big for me since I’m a woman or what, but I have it on the smallest sizing and even am putting my left foot up higher, but the banjo keeps tipping downward, causing me to not relax in an effort to hold it up. How tight should the strap fit? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Shoshannah

8 Likes

Hi Shoshannah welcome to @BanjoBen 's Forum. Let me just start out by saying that even big guy’s like me struggle to get a banjo strap to fit right, so rest assured your not alone. Hopefully this video can answer your query better than I can.

3 Likes

Does this mean the neck drops to towards the floor, or the big round part tips over? I’ve had both problems.
Watch the video, then you might try fooling around with where the strap attaches to the banjo. I’ve fooled with mine many times, and was thinking yesterday I need to fool with it again to get it “just right.” (I think it’s my inner “Goldilocks” trying to find the perfect porridge.)
The nice thing about the Neotech strap is it’s fairly easy to change attachment locations. I used one for quite some time and tinkered with it every few days until I found that “sweet spot.” Then I replaced it with a cradle strap set to the same position. Now my strap is 98% perfect, so I still have some more fooling around to do!
But I can always blame my poor picking on bad strap placement. :grin:

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum, @hisnorthernlight! Which banjo do you have?

3 Likes

Hey Shoshannah,
Welcome!! I have the same strap I had the same problem. I finally worked it out by watching the video above and this one, i believe, gave me some ideas too. Idk if this will help but this is how mine looks and where I have it attached. :slightly_smiling_face:

https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/banjo-boot-camp–overview-holding-and-strap-banjo?from_track=beginner-banjo

Google Photos

Google Photos

2 Likes

Oooh…the black binding on your banjo looks real good!

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum @hisnorthernlight! I’d like to second the question from Ben…what kind of banjo do you have? I’m not sure what he has in mind to say, but from personal experience can say my first banjo was an open-back without a metal tone ring…so the pot was not very heavy and I had the exact same problem with the exact same model strap. It was very comfortable, but the headstock kept drooping and I had to spend too much energy keeping it up. While the strap is plenty soft enough, it lacked the needed friction with my shoulder. In my case, it helped to pick clothing that had more of a texture, and put a terry-cloth towel in my lap, or wrap a terry wash-cloth around the strap where it sits on my shoulder. If none of these ideas give you good results, you may want stitch or glue something like terry cloth or suede or velvet onto the strap where it contacts your shoulder. If all else fails, a wide strap made of soft suede leather might work better for you. Wishing you great success, Shoshannah!

3 Likes

Thanks! I’m having a great time on your website and have dove in head first to learn the banjo. I greatly appreciate all the resources and lessons that you’ve worked to make available for us. :blush: I have a Deering Good Time open back.

4 Likes

Hey!
Thanks for taking the time to help! I have a deering good time open back. It sounds like you explained the problem. Maybe I’ll either try to add traction or order a leather one.

2 Likes

Yes the neck drops to the floor. I’ve already done my share of fooling around with it (and wasted all my practice time doing it :)! Good to know that I’m not the only challenged one. Thank you for the advise, I really appreciate everyone pitching in to help.

2 Likes

Thank you Archie!

2 Likes

Thank you so much!

1 Like

WELCOME!!! My two cents on the strap is I went to a more expensive route, Buffalo and I love it. It solved all those issue’s and some. But that’s just me Good Luck and once you get your strap figured out ( not that bad of a dilemma in the grand scheme of thing’s :wink: ) Happy Picking you’ve come to the rite place!!! :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Yeah, the issue is compounded by the fact that that banjo’s headstock/neck weighs more than the pot assembly whereas most banjos are the other “weigh” around and this isn’t as much of an issue.

3 Likes

Thanks!! :grin:
Well, I like going with the more affordable options, but sometimes you just have to break down and get the best. My brother decided that I was going with the best, (I’m sure my shoulder towel configuration helped him come to this conclusion :joy:)and he so kindly ordered me a leather buffalo strap and I can’t wait to try it out!

5 Likes

Very Cool!!! Let me know what you think when it arrives!!! Mine is very comfortable I love it. :sunglasses: HAPPY PICKIN!!!