Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

I built some Dtuners!

Ok thanks, it was a fun build (albeit a very frustrating head muddling finger sorenessing one)

1 Like

Ok try again, I think it’s fixed

1 Like

Here they are. They are interesting… necessity is the mother of invention.

4 Likes

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! YES!!!

Well done. Time for a performance?

1 Like

Thanks, @DrGuitar1! @Mike_R, it’ll take a while for a performance, they don’t quite stay in tune, I’m working on it but not very steadily, I’m a procrastinator, and when I’m working on it I can’t play my other banjo (space reasons). It works fine to bend up from Dtuning, but it doesn’t hold the G tuning very well, (particularly the b string slips), and doesn’t have stops yet, so I over bend sometimes. But I’ll try to get it done this month

2 Likes

Thanks, @DrGuitar1! @Mike_R, it’ll take a while for a performance, they don’t quite stay in tune, I’m working on it but not very steadily, I’m a procrastinator, and when I’m working on it I can’t play my other banjo (space reasons). It works fine to bend up from Dtuning, but it doesn’t hold the G tuning very well, (particularly the b string slips), and doesn’t have stops yet, so I over bend sometimes. But I’ll try to get it done this month

1 Like

Ah, nice to see the pics. Clever idea and I hope you work out the teething troubles. Would be great to hear them in action.

@Dragonslayer Wow, I could not picture what you had in mind. This looks like a clever idea! Thanks of the photos. They loaded OK for me now with your link above.

@DrGuitar1, thanks for helping out with the images.

That’s really cool, Gunnar! Thanks for the pics. I’m anxious to see it in action.

Thanks guys, yesterday I reworked the friction gears so they stay put better, and I’ll see if I can get a short video later today and maybe upload soon

Rube Goldberg much?

That’s crazy looking - and it works? Pretty cool man.

Who’s that? I’ve heard the name…

Well that would be the question wouldn’t it. Well it does, mostly. But it requires a lot of skill and concentration (both slightly lacking on my part) I’m gonna try to demo it soon, I think I’ve figured out part of flint hill special, so you’ll be able to see for yourself soon (hopefully, if I can get off of my procrastinating keister :joy::roll_eyes:)

Oh excellent, I finally get to educate you on something for a change. Rube Goldberg was a jack of all trades kind of guy who made cartoons of complicated and elaborate machines to do simple tasks.

Legos are sometimes used in modern day Rube Goldberg Machines and so your cool gizmo made me think of a Rube Goldberg Machine. There are annual Rube Goldberg competitions now and the entries are quite impressive, such as:

4 Likes

Ok cool, I’ve seen these types of things (okay mostly pictures) and I’ve made a couple, but dang! That was elaborate! And it worked, that’s kind of strange things I build usually don’t work well. Except the dtuners, they’re pretty good

1 Like

Well for anyone who missed it (or future readers) I got the video up here:
https://banjobenclark.com/forum/t/lego-dtuners-in-action/8763/8

1 Like

Alright y’all, someone asked on my YouTube channel for a video of how I made these, so here it is. I’m not used to talking on camera, and I’m not too concise, but the video may be helpful anyway. If not, it’s at least an entertaining few minutes

1 Like

Oh, and sorry about the camera orientation, I hope you don’t hurt your neck watching :joy::grimacing: