Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Humidity for Your Instrument

So, I checked the humidity in the room I usually practice in with my digital hygrometer. It was 42, which is too low. (I’ve read it should be between 47 and 57.

So I added distilled water to my humidifier and fired it up. Just for reference, I live in central NC.

It’s that time of year, so it may be a good time for everyone to check on this.

2 Likes

This question came up earlier this year and yes it gave me concern so I purchased a hydrometer and have been treating my Banjo to a constant 50 percent humidity. Although my house can very from 18 to the mid 40s wich makes me like an old dried out piece of beef jerky my instrument is treated like a prized piece of art. (and it is) :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Good thought Jack!

FWIW, I don’t worry about it until it drops below about 35. That’s when I see changes in the way they play. Of course, keeping a tighter handle is “more better” so I am not saying you shouldn’t keep it where you want it.

2 Likes

bump…

House is around 21% here now.

Got tired of watering, leaks, old crystals, etc. so trying these this Winter

Got doubles for the guitar & mando, and singles for the fiddles.

We’ll see how it goes…

3 Likes

I’ve been using one of these for the past few years. Does a great job of adding a little moisture to the air throughout the house. It won’t keep the whole house at fifty, but it does help. You would be amazed at how much water it pumps into the air. It will turn itself on and off to maintain your target. I still go through about 2.5 gallons a day.

3 Likes

@10-S-E_Dave, how long do the wicks last in those? I used to be able to find replacement wicks for mine locally, but this year it looks like I have to order them. It might be time for an upgrade.

It looks like I might have a little more time before breaking out the humidifiers down here. It’s supposed to be in the 80s here the next few days. #whiteChristmas

1 Like

Let us know how they work out. They are kind of pricey to put in all the cases, but it looks like they are supposed to last 3 months, which would just about cover the entire time we need them down here.

2 Likes

Will do!
What I like is that they supposedly work both ways: they dehumidify when needed.
I know a couple people who use them and like them.
They can be simply re-charged for continued use also…Not highly advertised as the company sells the inserts…:wink:

Between this big, dusty, drafty old house and my well water (packed full of vitamins & minerals!:roll_eyes:) the room/house things don’t work for me & won’t last the year.

2 Likes

Mike, I try to squeeze a whole season out of one filter/wick. It still works after the machine tells you to change it. I think last year I may have run it an extra two weeks. It really depends on use.

1 Like

I use a Vicks 1.5 gallon warm mist humidifier in the room where I keep my wooden instruments. Generally the instruments are kept in their cases in this room that is kept at between 40% and 55% humidity through the winter. I control the humidity level with a room hygrometer and whether and how much I leave the door ajar. With the door shut, the room can reach 70+%, with the door fully open it can go below 35%. Leaving it open just about 1/4 inch will keep it about 55% when the outside humidity level is close to 20%.

1 Like

Humidity in the range of 60% to 80% seems to work well for my wooden flutes.
I am a guitar luthier and I hvaclifehack tell us in detail that in the winter months it is so important to keep an acoustic guitar hydrated. I have seen cracks and warping that could have been easily avoided. I use a Planet Waves hydrator for my guitars.

I’m using a Dampit hydrator in my fiddle. I really like it because I can practice without removing it. Please consider using one if your house gets dry this time of year. Most good cases have a hydrometer in them so you can monitor things.

Report:
The Boveda packets I have been using since Dec.
I’ve been very happy with them…best thing I’ve used in the entire 50+ yrs I’ve been playing.

They worked well both adding moisture in the Winter and lowering it on soggy warmer days.

On the fiddle there was notably more consistency in the instrument than in the past as the seasons changed.

I haven’t had to change out any of them yet either. They sort of started getting stiff toward the Spring, but then during the humid months they absorbed enough to go back to about s pliable as when new.

1 Like