Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

How to set up vido

Howdy three finger pickers, I want to record my forward and my reverse roll , but I don’ have an 8 year old in the house to do it for me. so here is the question, do I use you tube, skype, how do i set an account etc. well I really don’t know what to ask lol , HELP! right now I’m working on forward roll and reverse roll as well as forward reverse roll, square roll, slides pull offs and a few songs that go with everything so want to get an idea if I’m playing things right (no other pickers around me) thinks for the help and God Bless.

8 Likes

Hi @Sailor, the easiest way to record a video is with a phone. Do you have a phone that records video? Then just upload that to YouTube either via the YouTube app or the website, YouTube.com. You will need a YouTube account, which is easy and free to create, but not a Skype account or anything else. Finally, copy and paste the video link into this forum. If you need more guidelines just ask - I know it can be daunting at first to post a video, but it’s actually not that complicated. Good job on the banjo practice!

12 Likes

A single instrument video on iPhone for youtube is easy enough, but how does one do a multi-track video where you can accompany yourself with another instrument, for example mando and guitar? My kids just roll their eyes and my grandchildren can’t walk or talk yet. I’m stuck in the ‘duh’ world.

4 Likes

Dan, that takes a video editing software package (and usually a steep learning curve.) It requires a lot of preparation because you have to plan the different parts of the video before recording, depending on how technical you’re going to get.

To my knowledge, it’s not something you can do on your phone, but as fast as things are improving these days, there may be an app that does it and I just don’t know about it.

7 Likes

thanks for the help

3 Likes

I fully know how you feel all my kids live states away so I don’t even get the eye rolls. is that a roll i got to learn as well?

3 Likes

wow lost me at phone can’t do it lol

3 Likes

thanks to all for all the help

2 Likes

Been working on that video editing…it has been a learning curve for me. Hardest part is synching separate mp3 audio. I have learned that I can make a sharp sound (like a hand clap) to create a peak in the waveforms of both audio sources. Those can be lined up in the video editing software. I’ve recently started using Cyberlink Power Director.

6 Likes

WOW :crazy_face: I can do that

2 Likes

That’s a good one, and not too pricey either. It’s been a few years since I used it. I think I bought version 8 a long time ago. I’m sure they’ve come a long way since then.

5 Likes

Thats what I thought…best value for the money. I was using MS video editor which is total crap IMO.

4 Likes

Just guessing here, but I think there may be a clock or timer feature somewhere with your video editor, and it should be counting at least tenths of a second. Using the clock rather than the wave form can make editing much simpler & tighter.
Typically, the clock is simply a very tiny set of number embedded somewhere (usually in a corner of a screen) that looks like “3:21.24” indicating three minutes, twenty-one seconds and 24/100th of a second.
A sharp noise like a clap gives you a quick visual reference, but it’s also a bit of audio that may not supposed to be there.
Good luck!

5 Likes