Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

How to hold the pick?

Hey guys! I just started flatpicking and I am having trouble keeping my pick tight and steady. If I hold it too tight my hand gets cramps but if I hold it looser it usually slips or ruins my sound quality. Any suggestions?

1 Like

Check out this lesson
https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/pick-hand-fundamentals-guitar-beginner?from_track=beginner-guitar-checklist

I’d say it’s pretty important to have you index finger and thumb pointing opposite directions, and hold your pick as loosely as you can, something that helped me hugely was when I got a large triangle pick, it’s very easy to hold on to

2 Likes

First of all, I want you to know that it’s NORMAL to experience this and it is something you will get past with time. It is better to have it loose and slipping than so tight that you get cramps. Keep at it! One thing I do use at times to help is Gorilla Snot: https://store.banjobenclark.com/products/gorilla-snot-pick-grip

2 Likes

It took me about 4 months to finally lighten up on the pick. I was so afraid of dropping the pick… I went through an assortment of picks before I ended up with a PrimeTone triangle shape. https://store.banjobenclark.com/products/dunlop-primetone-small-triangular-ultex-flat-pick. I think the lighter touch leads to better strumming.

2 Likes

Thanks all! Will look into your pick suggestions!

1 Like

I played guitar for a long time before starting Bens lessons, but I still had issues holding my pick at times. I watched all Bens videos on this and I have gotten better at it over time. I would agree that your index and thumb should point in opposite directions, but I never was able to gravitate towards a closed fist. I ended up with my 2nd 3rd and 4th fingers pretty loose but not stretched out like they were before. I have noticed that Ben doesn’t keep a tight fist anymore quite like he used to either. My point here is to keep working at holding your pick like Ben says in the video, but I think during this process you will find out what works best for you. My opinion on the gorilla snot is to use it very sparingly. It ends up all over my pick and strings sometimes, but it will definitely help you keep your grip.

2 Likes

I’m back! Do any of you know how to keep my bottom knuckle from hitting the strings after my pick does? I’m trying to keep them out of the way but they always slide down. I am guessing the answer is “time and practice,” but still wanted to ask.

1 Like

Hi Taryn If you care to post a video of your hand movement @BanjoBen should be able to offer some advice. From what your describing it sounds like your hand is angled too far over or your fingers are reaching too close to the strings

Does it just happen when playing rhythm or when flat picking a stream of single notes or all the time.

1 Like

removed…

I’ve found that to be a problem when I play with too small a pick, and changing to a large triangle helped immensely. Time and practice will help you get used to holding it with the right pressure (it’s hard) and also what Archie said.

1 Like

It happens when I a, playing rhythm and hardly at all when flatpicking. Can’t post video, but will try @Dragonslayer’s suggestion of using a bigger pick. The ones I got to start out with were smaller because I have pretty small hands.

1 Like

Playing rhythm without losing a pick does take time and practice, but keep at it, you’ll get there. I’ve heard of a lot of people using small picks cuz they have small hands, but I’ve never really understood that. Have fun!

1 Like

I figured the small picks would be easier for me to hold. As I progress, though, many of my early assumptions have proved to be wrong! Thanks for the reply.

2 Likes

I play with a big triangular blue chip but I am considering trying a smaller pick with more of a point as well.

1 Like