Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Hotels and rental cars

It’s not too early to start booking your hotel and rental car for camp. I’ve done some searching and found a few tidbits I thought I’d share to help you save some money.

First of all, I discovered that trying to book a rental car directly through the company’s web site is NOT the way to go. For example, when I input the dates of 3/25 - 3/29 at Hertz.com, the cheapest car was $92 / day. Inputting the same dates on Kayak.com resulted in a lowest price of $36 / day FROM HERTZ!

A trick I discovered last year, for those who wait too late, is that many car rental companies consider Thursday the start of weekend rates. So, last year, I made 2 rentals; 1 for Wednesday ($90) and 1 for Thursday - Sunday ($92.)

As of right now, that’s not necessary. It looks like the price stays the same whether you start your reservation on Wednesday or Thursday. Just remember to use those alternative sites like Kayak or Priceline or even Google to check for the best deals.

Last year Ben made arrangements with a local hotel to get group pricing. It turned out to not be the great deal we thought it would be, so this year we’re letting everyone book their own. Here’s a link with seven hotels within just a few minutes of Ben’s house.

Hotels near Ben

I’ve already plugged in the dates of 3/25 to 3/29 in that link, so if you book off of it, make sure that’s the dates you want.

If you need any help making reservations, let me know.

5 Likes

Tip for any Ex - Military / Serving Military Personnel - Check with the Airlines, Hotels, Car Rental Companies and Restaurants you may find to qualify for some great discounts. You may have to provide evidence of military service. Here in the UK you can apply for a Defence Discount Card a registration fee of £1 = $1.30 when I applied and I have made multiple savings since.

2 Likes

Anyone planning on attending the March Cabin Camp & staying @ a campground? That’s what we’re going to do…

3 Likes

I had considered bringing a camper but not sure I wanted to pull 6 hrs. Are there any good ones around?

3 Likes

Yes, I’m driving my motor coach up and staying at Nashville Shores. It’s not far from Ben’s and it’s on a big lake and there’s a water park and tree top adventure park there as well. They also have cabins for rent. The cabins might be a great deal for a large family or campers that want to team up and share quarters. I stopped by to check it out last time I was in town and I really liked it. I’m there for two weeks.
https://www.nashvilleshores.com/

5 Likes

Looks super nice @MissMaggie!! We have reservations at the Nashville East KOA of Lebanon. Driving up from AL. Probably arriving the Wednesday day before camp and leaving the Sunday after camp, however, we were just talking about possibly extending it a bit. Haven’t ever camped at the KOA before so, @Bcaves, cant really say how it stacks up!

3 Likes

Looks nice too

3 Likes

I’ve decided I’m going to get a hotel and drive my Honda car instead.

3 Likes

Anyone going to the April cabin camp and staying at the Hamilton Inn in Mt. Juliet with a car? I get in at 2am wed, I think, too late it seems to get a car so I was just going to grab a cab to the hotel, but need a ride or will Uber to Ben’s place for Thursday.

1 Like

I’ll be at the April camp, staying at the Comfort Inn, which is at the same highway exchange as the Hampton, about 1 mile away, if that’s where you’re at. I could give you a ride.

2 Likes

@Rich that would be great! I will get you my contact info via PM or something. I will have my mandolin, so no space-consuming instrument like a big bass, LOL

2 Likes