Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Hitting the wrong strings

Hello in Banjobenland,

I have been playing banjo close to 1 yr now. I play almost every day for 1-2 hours. I can’t seem to play one song through without making a mistake/s. I have slowed the song/s way down and play segments of song/s over and over again. Example: Silent Night…I have tried playing this song for two weeks now and still can’t get it right. I know what I am supposed to do, but I always end up hitting wrong string/s throughout the song. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. It’s not that I am not dedicated, because I am. I’m beginning to feel like I will never be able to play this instrument as much as I want to, and thinking that I should give it up? Any/all suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you fellow banjo players!

2 Likes

Forgot to mention that I have watched Banjo Ben’s “Banjo Ideal Practice Session” several times already.

Hi @cindy.guardalabene Cindy, First of don’t fret (pun intended) we are here to help. It’s common for beginners to make mistakes, lot’s of them it’s all part of the learning process. I have been studying banjo for 15 years now and I still miss the odd string now and again so your in good company. I lost count of the times I was ready to give up.

My advice to you is to visit, revisit and re-revisit @BanjoBen 's lessons on basic roll patterns. Rolls are at the foundation of playing three finger banjo and it takes a while for the brain to process all the information you are studying. It’s kinda like learning to ride a bike. The brain knows it hurts when you fall off, but it still takes a while till it learns how to maintain your bodies balance and keep you from falling.

The more you fret about making mistakes the more mistakes you make. I am sure Ben and others will echo my advice. Stick with it come next Christmas you’ll be able to record your arrangement

This is me 7 years ago. I was a nervous wreck trying to play this without making a mistake

5 Likes

Thank you Archie! Really appreciate your encouragement! Definitely will go back and practice all of the rolls over and over again very slowly until I can play them with minimal mistakes and having to think about them.

Thank you for the video…inspiration to me! Maybe next Christmas all of Banjo Ben’s students who want to play Silent Night can do a video conference together !

3 Likes

Hi Cindy I just worked my way through @BanjoBen 's new Silent Night Beginner Version which I am guessing is the one you have been working on. Let me just say it’s a challenge for me too.

Here is another suggestion for you. When Ben teaches this lesson as he does with all his lessons. He teaches it a line at at time. That is by far the best way to learn and practice it. Line by line. But when you come to put it together that might a reason for you to crash an burn simply because you can’t SEE what’s coming on the next line of tab . What I do is pause the video just as the next line of tab displays. And using my cursor flip between the lines and practice joining the last lick on the line to the first lick on the new line.

It really helps to have the tune in your head and listen as you play

2 Likes

I’m sure you’ve heard the advice to “practice sections as slow as you need to to get it perfect.” My problem often is, usually there isn’t a spot on the metronome, no matter how slow or fast, that I can play to and get the song perfect. That may be similar to what you’re experiencing. I’m not sure any professional or teacher would recommend this, but in this situation, my “last resort” plan of attack to literally practice the section or song how I want to, without regard to its proper timing. This includes pausing to remember sections or make sure I finger them correctly, and is also a great opportunity to focus a little extra on my technique.

The struggle with trying to practice a song all the way through is that you’re on a clock. Every note must be in time. This is absolutely crucial to practice. However, I’ve found that often I need to take some extra “beginning steps” to even be able to practice with the metronome (I don’t have a healthy relationship with it, so take my advice with a grain of salt.)

Consider memorizing a passage or list of text. Let’s say you’re trying to recite the periodic table or the Presidents in order, or 100 digits of Pi. My guess is that your practice recitation wouldn’t come out conformed to a steady beat. It would be quite hard to do that without having already practiced that first - even if said beat you had to conform to were extremely slow. Rather, you would have parts of your recitation that come easily to memory, and parts that come slowly. By reciting with no “time feel”, you’re able to tell where these are and somehow, after much practice on your own clock, the entire recitation becomes more smooth.

This is because each time you ask your brain to retrieve that certain piece of information, it seems to simply become more “familiar” with the path it needs to travel to bring it forth. The road gets smoother; the directions seem to be more easily understood. The brain goes from “uhh… ce…sium… Barium… um, the next one starts with an L…” to “What comes after Barium? Lanthanum, of course! I’ve always known that.” Eventually, at your highest level of memorization, you’re able to recite from memory at any kind of rhythm you wish.

So it is with music. I wish that I could always practice things through, starting at some slow point on the metronome where I’m “perfect” and bringing my perfection up to speed. But sometimes, sadly, my “perfection” spot does not lie on a point on the metronome. It’s not actually perfect, because proper timing is part of playing the piece correctly. But, sacrificing that does allow me to hit the notes without as many mistakes.

Sometimes, you’ve got to laser focus on not just one measure or one section or one tricky ornament - sometimes, you’ve got to laser focus on one aspect of your playing itself.

Use with caution!

(P.S. I’ve been playing guitar 7 years and I still can’t play an arranged song perfectly without mistakes)

6 Likes

Thank you Michael…your message gives me hope and inspires me. I will continue to work hard and persevere. I think I need to relax and enjoy the process instead of concentrating on playing a song without any mistakes. I make myself nervous…

4 Likes

I do work a line at a time…my issue is that I’m hitting the wrong strings even though I know which ones I should be playing. My brain knows the pattern but my fingers won’t follow…lol I should slow down and with each measure until I can play it before I go to the next and then practice joining the last lick on the line to the first lick on the new line?

4 Likes

I know how frustrating it can be, I have a T-Shirt. The good news is you get a little better each day. You may not notice the change but it happens over time, It’s important to record yourself and measure your progress over time but never compare yourself to other peoples progress. Trust me Cindy, if you stick at it, know your going to make mistakes you will get better.

oldbanjoe50

4 Likes

I sure do appreciate your words of encouragement, support and wisdom. I will stick with it knowing that mistakes lead to improvement… Thanks for sharing your video Archie!

5 Likes

Hey Cindy(@cindy.guardalabene),
Everyone misses notes. I remember hearing that Earl Scruggs landed on the wrong frets for an entire measure of rolls on a live album. If you let it bother you, it’s a mistake, but if you continue confidently, it’s art. :blush: Also, are you playing from the tab? If so, I recommend you memorize the way the song sounds and move away from depending on tab as soon as possible. Once you start associating your hand motions with the sounds rather than the notes on the page, your “missed” notes will start sounding more intentional anyway. The most recent Picky Fingers Podcast involved a review of a recent EP the podcaster’s band produced. At the end of one song he completely missed the chord, but the whole band thought it sounded so good, they left it in the final cut.

So enjoy the journey and don’t sweat the missed notes. The only way you’ll fail is if you stop playing—and that would be a shame. Take care.

9 Likes

Thank you JKL… I tried moving away from tab, but I end up playing the same roll and when I find the melody notes I can’t figure out how to use them within a roll or other types of techniques - hammer on’s, slides, etc. I’ve watched videos on “ear training”. Any suggestions? It seems a bit above my skill level at this point.

“The only way you’ll fail is if you stop playing”…going to print that off and put that in my music room!

4 Likes

Make sure and work your way through my build-a-break lessons and this one, too: https://banjobenclark.com/lessons/banjo-make-a-break-featuring-tex-critter-banjo-intermediate

4 Likes

Thank you Banjo Ben… will do!

1 Like

Hi Cindy It’s a skill that you’ll learn in time.

5 Likes

Just memorize the tab—at first you’ll remember how the tab looks, but after playing a memorized song long enough, you’ll start relating the hand motions with the sounds. And Archie is correct, it will just take time. The key is to keep trying. Part of your music journey should include building neural pathways between what you hear and what you play. But keep it fun—use tab unapologetically as a learning tool—but push to commit your favorite songs to memory as well—it will expand the fun meter in the long run. Take care.

3 Likes

I think this is totally normal. Playing something precisely and with few or no mistakes is much harder for me and takes much more practice than only learning how to play something approximately correctly. If I’m at the point where I can more or less play a tune at a level where it’s recognizable and I wouldn’t feel totally embarrassed playing it a jam (which already takes a good amount of practice), I probably need the same amount of practice again, if not more, to get it to a point where I’m playing it mostly error-free.

Some things that help me: 1) not overdoing it; there are definitely diminishing (or even negative) returns to playing the same tricky passage to exhaustion. It’s like the musical equivalent of saying a word out loud so many times that it loses its meaning to you. Take a break, play something else, let your brain process; 2) going back to the chords: if you’re struggling with a melody arrangement of Silent Night, can you just roll through the chords in time? This will not only help develop your picking technique but will also help build your intuition of why the melody’s notes appear when they do and will make the melody make more musical sense to your brain rather than just being numbers in a tab.

3 Likes

Regarding the picking problem, it might not hurt to post a video featuring your picking hand so we can be sure that you’re not practicing a bad habit. A year in, I would think you should be able to play a song at a slow tempo perfectly, especially if you’re practicing every day. Maybe there’s something in your technique we can identify that’s causing your issue.

5 Likes