Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Hitting some major resistance

Has anyone ever witnessed themselves having major resistance to practicing appropriately?

This year, I want to vastly expand my lick vocabulary. To do that, I first have to learn the licks. Then I have to sit down with songs and figure out where the licks fit. Then I need to play them over and over until I can use them fluently.

Sounds easy, right? But for 2 weeks, every time I pick up my banjo, I just start playing stuff I already know because it’s fun. Suddenly, the stuff I sat down to do seems daunting. I know it’s not, but the idea of “doing the work” becomes a big NO for me.

I know the solution is a Nike slogan. “Just do it.” WHY IS IT SO HARD?!?!

6 Likes

By the way, I just watched Ben’s lesson on practicing with purpose. It’s an awesome lesson! Somehow, though, all of that structure just added to the anxiety of practicing.

3 Likes

Right with you on that one @Mark_Rocka. Since I got out of hospital regular study & practice has become a chore. I am finding it hard to focus and stay motived. In the past I could practice 10 - 12 hours easily and still wanted to practice more. Lately I am lucky if I practice for an hour. That said this week I have been working on licks high up on the neck. Some triplets, single string stuff and whilst I found it difficult to get the timing right on the triplets it all seemed to come together today. Can’t wait till tomorrow to try it again.

I need to find some new tunes to stimulate my interest. Playing in the Key of D is what I’d like to do more of. Grown tired of playing in G & C.

3 Likes

An improvement could be “We try harder” to “Just do it”! :wink:

As it is always “work” during gestation period until it becomes “fun”. I’m reading an accounting book to get some basics for ERP, it is not very fun, not too hard also, but I make it a point to complete a chapter a day (halfway through though) to finish it within a month.

2 Likes

Awww, just have fun and the urge will come back around :slight_smile:

10 Likes

I was getting ready to say something similar to Ben. Unless there is a future paycheck involved, if you are in a season of having fun with what you know, then just enjoy it. If you really want to add to the lickabulary, then spend a few minutes on a new lick each session before launching into fun playing. Slow progress is still progress. I have been in a non-learning phase on various instruments at many points, and it’s ok. I seem to come back around to it sooner or later.

7 Likes

Zat is my whole life.

4 Likes

It shouldn’t be the way till the end. The idea of “labor” is to “rest”!

2 Likes

OK, I forgot to mention the weirdest part of this resistance. Twice in the past month, I’ve sat down with structured lessons from Ben and was able to complete them. Now I’m playing those songs for fun, so I consciously know the reward of putting in the work.

There just seems to be some kind of mental resistance to building my lickabulary (I’m going to use that one a lot, @Mike_R!) It’s interesting / frustrating to observe myself doing this. It’s not like “Oh man! I forgot to practice licks!” It’s more like “I’m playing all of these songs when I should be working on licks.” I know I’m doing it as it’s happening.

The mind is a strange thing.

7 Likes

I may be off the mark here (no pun intended), but I shared a similar resistance, with the twist of getting older. I’ve practiced long enough to know what it will take for me to accomplish a particular goal, but with what little time I have left, my goal is only to enjoy playing the banjo. But that sounds incomplete. Shouldn’t I be learning new songs all the time? Shouldn’t I be setting goals & stretching myself? Maybe. If that’s what makes you happy. It doesn’t make me happy.

Ben’s right. Just have fun. The urge will come back around.

5 Likes

Not for me to advise but I like learning new stuff. Keeps me from feeling old.

oldbanjoe50

4 Likes

As long as we are having fun. I believe that keeps my mind young.

4 Likes

Lickabulary. Love it

1 Like

Yess!

@Mark_Rocka looks like you and I are basically in the exact same place regarding practice. Lately, I feel like I’m not really getting better right now because every time I sit down to “practice”, I find myself playing stuff I already know just for fun.

3 Likes

Yup. That’s me exactly. I know it’s sounds selfish, but I’m kinda glad to know I’m not alone.

4 Likes