Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Highway 40 Blues

I have been searching for some mandolin tab for Highway 40 Blues. Any suggestions?

This is a great tune. I searched all over the internet and didn’t see any mandolin tabs for this song. I did see some banjo and guitar tabs for it. I also watched a few videos of Ricky Skaggs playing it and it looks to me like he is playing standard chop chords for backup. When he solos, he seems to play pentatonic shapes out of the chop chord positions. His solo is pretty short. Most of the sheet music I found shows the song in the key of E, but there are few chords in there like F# and a C# as well. You could probably slow down one of the YouTube videos and get a good idea of what he is playing. Sorry I’m not much help.

2 Likes

Thank you for checking, I appreciate your efforts.

2 Likes

Hey @Benji! Have you ever tried the Amazing Slow Downer? I really encourage you to get an app like that one, slow the song down, and try figuring it out by ear. When you get stuck or need help, come back to this thread and ask. It’s the best way to learn!

4 Likes

No I have not, but i will definitely try it. Thank you!