Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Help with 5th measure in Blueridge Cabin Home

Can someone help me read how to play this? It’s the first couple of notes on the 5th measure of Blueridge Cabin Home. Do you hammer-on 1 while simultaneously plucking 2?

1 Like

Eighth note hammer-on from 0-2 on the third string - hit the second string when you hammer on. You can also sub that out for a sixteenth note hammer-on if you prefer!

1 Like

Understood. Thank you, my friend.

1 Like

Simplest way to look at this @Brent.H is remove the hammer-on. What do you SEE. A forward roll. Now add the hammer-on. and like magic you have a C Chord lick.

2 Likes

Yes Brent, I have done this very thing at times. It’s not difficult, but I would not consider it a beginning technique. It takes practice. I know it sounds weird, not hammering on the string you plucked, but hammering onto a different string you didn’t pluck. I wrote a blues song once that used this type of fingering; the point was that I wanted the plucked string to have a dominant tone to the more subdued tone of the hammered-on note that I didn’t pluck. It gave me just the sound I was looking for. I’m guessing that was the point of this score as well. Good luck!

1 Like

I would do this in guitar for a similar music.

1. Fret the 1 fret on the 2nd string with (left) index finger first.
  2. Start fingerstyle pick on 3rd and 2nd strings alternatively using thumb and index finger as you would do normally.
  3. While you pick the 2nd string using the index finger, simultaneously hammer on the 2nd fret 3rd string using the middle finger.
1 Like

Another Blueridge Cabin Home question… Is the opening banjo solo played with a swing or is it played straight? I slowed it down to 1/4 speed on youtube and it really sounds like its swinging, but I wanted to validate that.

1 Like

Hi @Brent.H Where is the lesson located ? Nothing is coming up when I search Blueridge. Does the lesson have another title?

It’s a tab Ben put out here shortly after J.D. passed, I think.

You’re right, I would bet that those notes are being swung. I think that if you slow most players down, you can hear some swing even if they’re playing pretty quick.

Usually you don’t have to think consciously about swinging your notes; it’s pretty natural to play things with that feel (I think). I was part of a jazz guitar course once and the instructor corrected me several times on the “misunderstood jazz swing feel”… he wanted everything played straight. I was swinging everything in a bluegrass fashion and didn’t even realize it.

3 Likes