Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Help on Mandolin part- song- John and Mary -IIIrd Tyme out

Can anyone help me figure out the riff used in this song? I’ve slowed it down using YouTube and can tell its actually not that many different notes or strings used to create that great sound, but getting the combination right is stumping me.
I love that it has that Appalachian, down in the holler, sound u usually find in banjo. I like to see the mandolin holding its on as the back up rhythm with out just chopping; and its cool to see it as something else beside a lightning fast solo.
Been listening to these guys and some Larry Sparks and enjoy the slower melodies. Not that they don’t get down too,haha. But the slow stuff is a great sound in its own right. Thanks to everyone for their help !:moyai:

6 Likes

Hey James,

That’s actually a mandola, which is normally tuned C G D A (lower than mandolin). This song is done in the key of C, and the mandola here is tuned to an open C chord, C G C G (top strings lowered a full step). I tried tabbing this out (and it reminded me why I hate tab :joy:), but I’m just gonna shoot a video real quick for ya.

4 Likes

Here’s the riff at two slower speeds. The part at the end of the riff that you mentioned is kind of a syncopated pull-off from 3-2:

Sorry for the grainy quality– I just filmed this real quick with my laptop webcam.

9 Likes

I appreciate this. That makes total sense of why everything just sounded off when I tried to find the right sound even though i felt i was in the right position. Admittedly I don’t have enough knowledge to have figured out all that you put on here, haha, but my ear was for sure aware something was up. :face_with_monocle:

3 Likes

Just what I was looking for. Thank u so much! When I saw the tie, I knew u was about to handle business.

2 Likes

Haha! Just about to go play guitar at the nursing home church service, so I was too lazy to change out of my church clothes :joy: Glad it helped!!

2 Likes

Well, that was very nice of you M&M!

I think that “Chillin’ in church clothes chat” should be a weekly segment on your channel!

3 Likes

That, is a great, older song. One of the best voices in bluegrass music, too!!

3 Likes

yes sir!