Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Help needed, my YouTube video was blocked

Hey guys I need some help. I just uploaded a video of myself playing hotel California on guitar, (fingerstyle, no singing) and it’s been blocked by YouTube. What should I do? There’s a bunch of similar videos I’ve seen that aren’t blocked, and I want mine unblocked. I don’t monetize, and I’m lucky to get twenty views. Any suggestions?

You can try uploading again. That’s about it AFAIK. What that could mean is that you played it so close to the original that YouTube’s algorithms identified it as copyrighted material but they weren’t able to do so on others you saw. There should be some log of why it was blocked.

A lot of what determines if a copyrighted work is blocked is how the original artist wants it handled.

Well, I did a bunch of reading on Youtube’s help center, and from what I read, my video had a content ID claim made, and it was automated. Which means YouTube recognized what I played as copyrighted material, and put in the claim on behalf of the owners of the material. Now supposedly the owners can either do nothing, ask me to stop, monetize my video, or take it down. Unfortunately, I don’t know how that works or how long it’ll take. Uploading again is not an option because I pay for my own internet, and it’s a huge file

1 Like

Hi Gunnar. I have had video’s rejected before. I can’t remember the reason but I tried to upload the same file and it got rejected even though I changed the file name. So I went back into a video editing tool and made some changes. I think I added some text. Then I uploaded it no problems. I also add a copyright disclaimer to evey video I upload. I haven’t had any issues since. That was several years ago

1 Like

Congratulations! That means you played it really well. :wink:

1 Like

INAPUTPSU It’s not a party until the police show up.

I hope to, one day, be good enough to be blocked.

2 Likes

I know :joy::joy: I was really shocked cuz I only have like twenty subscribers and I didn’t expect them to care. Well, I’ve submitted an appeal to let the video be viewed, they have thirty days to review my appeal, and then decide, I think if it takes longer than that it’ll be viewable anyway

1 Like

Hope they decide sooner and favorably! You must have played really, really well then!! Waiting to watch the video as well…

1 Like

Does it make any difference if you upload things like that as “unlisted” instead of “public”?

1 Like

I don’t know, but I can’t edit it right now and I can’t upload it again either

Well apparently YouTube just deleted over 17,000 videos/accounts because of hate speech. So… you must have played that song in such a hateful way or sompin.

You’re either that bad or that good, not sure which.

2 Likes

Lol, no it wasn’t deleted (yet) it’s just currently not available for viewing, due to copyright issues.

1 Like

Ok I disputed the claim a couple days ago, and now it’s been rescinded, so the video is viewable. I’ll post it in it’s own thread

1 Like