Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Happy TARTAN DAY! 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

@Archie,

Have you heard of this… :black_flag:󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Tartan Day is a North American celebration of Scottish heritage on April 6, the date on which the Declaration of Arbroath was signed in 1320. It originated in Canada in the mid-1980s. It spread to other communities of the Scottish diaspora in the 1990s.

3 Likes

Nope, Not celebrated over here to my knowledge.

1 Like

Well, it is new to me… and looking at the description, it seems like it is more of a North American Scottish :black_flag:󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 Heritage tradition that started in Canada?

I only heard if it 10 minutes ago when I opened my email to find an email from Compass Records - advertising a sale of Scottish Artists.

It is a nice thing that there is thought to recognize Scots and their contributions to music… so long as it truly is something just beyond a commercial “excuse” to sell.

I choose to look to the positive… and there is a pretty dramatic link to American tradition roots in Appalachia… although, I confess to not having many facts on these influences into American Music.

Aside from that, traditional Scottish music is amazing in its’ own right…

You know, like the Bay City Rollers, Biffy Clyro, Simple Minds, the Proclaimers, and - a band I went to see live back in the '80s - BIG COUNTRY… which I still enjoy listening to.

I can see @Archie’s eyes rolling… :roll_eyes:

2 Likes