Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Happy 8th of January

14 Likes

Happy 8th!!
Nice job picking that one Tim!

For whatever it’s worth, and I say this while smiling and laughing at myself… :grin::rofl:,

When I was starting to branch out into playing the same song in different keys, that is the song I used. I had originally learned 8th of Jan by tab in the key of D & then eventually memorized it. Later on, (months & months), when wanting to play in different keys, I realized that song was good to use as it starts on the note of the key.

I would encourage to you to give it a try if you haven’t already. “Same Song, Different Key.” Decide whatever key you want to play out of, then find the corresponding note on the fretboard to start from, and by ear it from there. It may help to play it in D 1st, then, say you want to do key of A or B (or whatever), then do that scale, (helps determine the note you will start on if not already familiar) & then away you go. Some keys came easy, some were more tricky. There’s also the choice of eventually doing this in different keys up the neck with all closed notes/no open strings. Later on after getting several keys of that song playable, I’d try to string them all together one after the other. Made practicing kind of an interesting challenge. Plus, this skill really helped me eventually when playing along with someone singing who needs a song to be in a different key for their voice.

Apologies for my long windedness, there’s a decent chance you aren’t even interested, lol :rofl:! And it’s all good! Thanks for sharing that with us all! :slightly_smiling_face::notes:

8 Likes

Nice job…love the happy sound!

2 Likes

Good picking, sounds great! Belated 8th!

1 Like

Thanks @Simone for the suggestion and advice. I appreciate it. I will work on that. Same song, different key. :grinning:

2 Likes