Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Hanging instruments on a wall

Hey all,
I’m moving my home office around and am tempted to install some wall hangers for my guitars and banjos (I currently keep them all in their cases). Increased access would probably mean increased use, and I love the look. But I worry about exposure (dust, UV, pets, general lack of protection). Does anyone have good or bad stories to tell about hanging instruments?

Thanks in advance.

Humidification would be my biggest concern. .

3 Likes

Excellent point.

I use them often and like them. They are much more secure than a floor stand. Humidity is a valid concern. I do humidify my house when it gets cold. I put them in the case when it gets real cold (which is when it gets real dry).

1 Like

I leave my instruments out during the day, two on my (upper bunk) bed and one on my dresser, the dust hasn’t harmed them (and there’s way more here than you’ll have) and they’re out of the way of my siblings. Humidity hasn’t been an issue nor has dryness, but it’s fairly temperate here

2 Likes

Humidity (well, the fact that there’s plenty of it) isn’t a problem down here in Houston, so nearly every instrument I own hangs on a wall. For hangers that will be holding my banjos, I make sure they’re screwed into a stud. For lighter instruments, I use the drywall anchors that come with the hangers and haven’t had a problem.

5 Likes

I had aspirations to create a wooden structure… To put our instruments on… but also my volumes of CDs. You see, I was tired of the space taken my those plastic cases… So I removed them and put them into sleeves - alphabetically… With the supporting book/sleeve info.

Then, I wanted to get a little Bose CD player to put on a shelf also.

I think it would look so nice.

I wish I had the skills to do it myself but think I would need someone to build it WITH or FOR me.

I also think I would use a hidden safety strap to attach to the back and screw directly into the studs as tip protection.

My son has Electrics which are HEAVY… and must be secured to wood. But… but we already had some hangers we pad previously used.

1 Like