Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Habit Forming or Not?

When fretting 8th notes on different strings, is the first part of the 8th note released after it’s played or does it remain fingered until the second part of the 8th note is played.
Or doesn’t it matter? I’m asking as a beginner as to not form a bad habit difficult to break later.
Currently, I keep the first part of the note fingered until the entire 8th note is played.
Just feels natural but I’m not sure if this is correct or not?

2 Likes

As a Beginner, I don’t understand the question. an 8th note does not take much time to play. Since it is just one note, I don’t understand what “second part” of the note you’re talking about. Unless you’re referring to a pull-off. I dunno. I’m confused.

But that’s the beauty of being a being a perpetual beginner. “Ignorance is bliss!”

Hi @kooseman Steve Not really sure what your asking here. Are you following @BanjoBen 's Beginner Learning Track? There is a great section on Music Theory by @Mr_G and Ben himself really takes the time to breakdown and explain Quarter Notes, 8th & 16th note pull-offs, hammer-ons & slides. The key to learning note duration is WATCHING and LISTENING. Hope this helps.

When you say first and second parts, are you referring to how pairs of eighth notes written in the tablature have a little line connecting them?

1 Like

The banjo doesn’t have much sustain, so I generally leave just my fretting fingers down after playing a note until the music requires those fingers to do something else.

3 Likes

Thanks Shad. You hit it right on. Guess I should (could) have been a little more clear in my inquiry.
Thanks again.

2 Likes

Not sure if I’m totally understanding the question, but with that, I don’t think there’s a need for worrying about a bad habit in this example.

I’d say at least for now, play whatever sounds best and feels more comfortable to you.