Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Guitar experts

There is a lot of praise for the D-18GE on this thread and on other threads and I have to concur. My friend has one and it’s wonderful to play and hear. It’s like a comfortable, broken in pair of shoes.

I would also recommend the D-18GE if you want the 1 3/4" nut but if you really like the thin neck on the Taylor you’ll probably find the GE neck more than a handful.

That’s true, the GE has the modified V-neck and people tend to love 'em or hate 'em. I have that profile on two guitars (they are similar anyway), and I tend to like them. If you want 1 3/4" nut with a less tapered and thinner neck, the new standard D-18 has the PA profile which is very similar to the Taylor. I think that profile was probably developed to try to grab some market share from Taylor. I wouldn’t be surprised to see all the standard Martins go to that over the next few years.

I can’t imagine what it would be like to buy an instrument for $30,000! I’m sure it would be different if I was playing
professionally, then I could justify it. But, it is just a hobby, so I’ll just dream about it.

jim

I know what you are saying Jim… that’s goofy money. I don’t want something so expensive that I am afraid to play it. On the other hand it was about 10 years ago when people were saying $100k for a Loar F5 is ridiculous. The “idiots” that bought them, now have something worth closer to a quarter of a million bucks. I don’t buy guitars because I think they will appreciate, but at the same time, it’s eases my mind to know that my guitars have done better in appreciating than most places I could have put the money. It’ makes purchases less troubling when I can buy a guitar, enjoy it for years, and most likely, I’ll be able to get my money out of it and then some. If I could just figure out a way to put investment grade instruments into a 401k, I’d be dangerous.

Find a Taylor 210-CE you will be amazed at the volume this one puts out it sells for around 900 and is a nice looking guitar with built in electronics . As soon as I sell my 1989 strat I will buy one . I was impressed and played Martin and Gibson while there and not even half the volume, and tone of this one .I don’t know how they would stand up to a lot of playing but it sounds great. I will own it soon.

— Begin quote from "welder4"

I don’t know how they would stand up to a lot of playing but it sounds great.

— End quote

I’m glad you found a guitar that you are excited about. Taylor makes great guitars and they will stand up to as much playing as you want to give them. As with all guitars, strings get dead and frets get worn, but other than that, the more you play them, the better they get.

Really getting close to buying a Mcpherson. Haven’t picked one yet but ready to make a trip to Mandolin Bros and leave with one. Probably within a week or two. Comments or suggestions ???

I think I have played about 4 or 5 McPhersons. Every one of them was as well finished and setup as could be done. All of them had nice tone, but one really stood out. A couple were stunning looking. They have so much variety in tonewoods, I wouldn’t get in too big of a rush unless you already know what you want. They can also make it to your spec (which would be pretty cool). You might want to shoot Ben a note and get his thoughts. It seems he really enjoys his.

Good information and advice. I didn’t realize how many wood options existed until I got serious about buying. That’s me
I have only played a few also and remember liking the less expensive model the best out four of them when I was at MB a year or two back. (I avoided the word cheaper :wink: ) My wife has okayed this purchase but I am still a little nervous about the cash.
One thing for sure is I will play it, gigs and all. No Glass Case guitars for me.

— Begin quote from "jbsjr"

Really getting close to buying a Mcpherson. Haven’t picked one yet but ready to make a trip to Mandolin Bros and leave with one. Probably within a week or two. Comments or suggestions ???

— End quote

Well, since you asked: Try to be as open minded as possible. Play other high end guitars other than the McPhersons you are seeking. Give them all a fair shot (one may surprise you). Then if a Mcpherson is still the one calling you the most, you’ll feel more sure about your purchase. Take your time like Mike said. It wouldn’t hurt to take a break for an hour or so (lunch maybe) and then return and re-try the ones that impressed you the most.

I tried two or three McPhersons at Wilcutt Guitars in Kentucky about three years ago and they impressed me a lot, but so did a particular Collings Rosewood Winfield model and a Martin D-28 Marquis (and I’m not much of a Martin guy). I didn’t buy anything that day, but any one of them would have been a pleasure to own. The McPhersons are incredible guitars but seem overpriced to me. But so are Blue Chip and Red Bear Picks and I buy them. So it’s what you can afford (or what you want to spend) on something that will bring a lifetime of joy that counts.

Good Luck and let us all know what you get.

J.W.

Just a quick note to let everyone know that I am suffering from extreme indecisiveness. My latest desire is a Collings CJ but I still need to go play n price. (what a drag haha) It could be a little more time than I initially thought but I will let you know where I land. BTW, the mcpherson is not completely out of the picture but unlikely at this point.

Since it sounds like you’ll be shopping… if you find a deal on a Santa Cruz RS let me know :smiley:

I’m on it!!! :wink:

These are the types of decisions I wish to have and wish I could afford. If time is not an issue, take as much as you like to find “the one”. There are so many wonderful instruments out there, some that nearly play themselves and others who sound like angels singing. If you find one that sounds like angels singing all by themselves, buy it.

About 17 years ago, I went to purchase my first “expensive” acoustic guitar. I had saved up $2000 and thought it time to spend more than $300 on an instrument. I was particularly looking for a Martin (a life long dream). I went to this wonderful acoustic guitar store (no longer in business) and played all manner of Martin, Gibson, Collings, Santa Cruz and much more all kept in a perfect 47% humidity environment. There was this one small bodied Collings that fit my description above. Had I had two and a half times as much cash as I was holding that day, it surely would have come home with me. As it was, I came home with a particularly nice Martin M38. If you can find the one, find it, buy it and play it, you won’t be sorry… and take your time. Enjoy the ride!

As always, great advice Doc! I think I am pretty much done buying guitars unless I replace something or find “the one guitar to rule them all.” Those are so rare (and it makes sense… people snatch them up and hang on to them). I have come across only a couple acoustics that seemed to be that for me. I have often wondered if I could go back and try them months or years later would the magic still be there. In some cases, I am sure it would, but in others I suspect not. I have found that going home and sleeping on it sometimes has a profound dampening effect on the way I perceive the tone (and thus my enthusiasm to part with my money). If it still sounds as sweet the next day, then that’s a pretty good sign. Another thing I like to do is bring one of my own to compare. It helps me to have a known reference.

— Begin quote from "jwpropane"

— Begin quote from "jbsjr"

I tried two or three McPhersons at Wilcutt Guitars in Kentucky about three years ago
J.W.

— End quote

— End quote

I just went back and re-read the recent posts… I need to get back to Wilcutts one of these days. I’d like to see what it has become. I used to go there pretty regularly back when it seemed like a small room stuffed with all sorts of musical items. If I remember correctly I bought our first large mixing board there after we found it in it’s case under a pile of lights or something. I do remember the first time I saw Ben Lacy. The guy was (and still is) one of the best guitarists I have ever been around. He was standing out front in the little traffic divide in front of Wilcutts playing for the traffic with a sign trying to get people to come in for lessons. He just stood there smiling, waving and shredding, presumably for hours. I probably haven’t been to Wilcutts in about 25 years. I suspect Bob wouldn’t remember me, but that’s ok… for some reason I always got the impression he didn’t particularly like me :smiley:

Sorry for my reminiscing… back to the regularly scheduled program.

Sorry John. With all my reminiscing I couldn’t resist a further highjack…
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulC9TUqIjtg[/video]

— Begin quote from "mreisz"

I need to get back to Wilcutts one of these days. I’d like to see what it has become.

— End quote

I wish I could tell you what it has become, but the first time I was ever there was what I mentioned earlier. I’ve only been there twice.

They have a good inventory of high end instruments, and I was treated extremely well. They were very hospitable. I met Bob the second trip. If he’s who I’m thinking of, he spends most of his time in the repair shop and really seems to know what he’s doing. They have a second building across the street with more instruments (most in cases) for online purchases to be shipped out. They were nice enough to let me try some of those guitars as well. That’s where I played the Collings CW.

Then there’s a third building which is where the repair shop is and a nice display of classic and historic instruments.

So if there was only one building when you used to go, seems that Bob has done quite well.

I’d never heard of Ben Lacy, glad you brought that to our attention. The girl looks like Muriel Anderson. Do you know who the rest of the musicians are? Good stuff!

J.W.

Correct, that is Muriel. I’d have to go look again, but I think Phil Keaggy is next to her. As for the others, I don’t know, but I suspect they are all studly guitarists. We can leave it out there for others to fill in the missing blanks.