Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Guilherme Espindola from Uberlandia, Brazil!

What was it that first got you interested in playing the guitar, mandolin or banjo?
Banjo is not a common instrument here in Brazil, so probably my first contact with banjos was watching American movies! Six years ago I had an opportunity to live and study in US, so it also became a great opportunity to buy a banjo and also learn how to play it.

How long have you been playing and what’s your motivation to play?
I’ve been playing since 2015 and I imagine myself in the future as an old man, playing some good songs on the banjo for my grandsons.

What’s your favorite lesson on Ben’s site and how has it helped you improve?
I dont’ have a favorite one, all the beginner lessons, since music theory and roll basics helped me a lot.

What’s your goal when playing?
To have fun, learn new songs and keep improving my music skills.

Are there any other instruments or genres of music that you enjoy playing?
I also play acoustic and electric guitar. I usually listen and play rock, metal and its subgenres. But at the same time I enjoy acoustic and folk music.

How long have you been a Gold Pick member?
Since December '17.

Do you have a favorite technique? What is it?
Scruggs style!

If you could play in anyone’s band, who would it be and why?
Any Christian worship service, serving God.

What type of gear or accessories have you found that work best for you?
EMG ACB-5 pickup, Elixir strings and a capo.

If money was no object, what would be your dream instrument(s)?
I would update my current banjo (never played another one!) and would by some good pedal effects.

If you didn’t have to sleep, what would you do with the extra time?
Probably would spend this extra time advancing my music and banjo skills.

Anything else you’d like to add?
Thank you Ben Clark and all the team for providing great banjo content! Since here it’s very difficult to get banjo classes, being a gold pick member helps me to keep practicing and learning new banjo tricks.

Thanks @Gui_Esp for letting us feature you!

16 Likes

Congrats!

2 Likes

Bem Vindo e parabéns @Gui_Esp GOLDPICKER OF THE WEEK!

Eu não acredito você esta aqui na site do BanjoBen com nós! Aonde você mora nos EUA?

Sou Americano - mas a minha esposa e Brasileira de Curitiba.

Your English is great and it is so cool that that you like the Banjo! What make/model is your Banjo?

3 Likes

Thanks! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi Will! Muito obrigado! I’m currently living in Brazil right now (Jaraguá do Sul/SC). Lived in USA in 2014 (9 months in NYC and 3 months in Harbor City, CA). Hope someday to visit US again and know more places there.

My Banjo is a Deering Goodtime Two

3 Likes

Well, we have at least 3 Portuguese Speakers as @Dragonslayer also speaks it. Gunner lives in Africa but speaks several languages… including Portuguese.

Do you know, I have been to Joinville, San Francisco (do sul), Camboriú and Florianópolis. I like the beach towns of Santa Catarina… but I freely admit I don’t know the interior of the state yet.

I am curious if you have tried playing at church or socially. Also, can Banjo be applied to Sertanejo, for example? I am not sure if you like Sertanejo, but I do… but I do like Titãs and Raul Seixas more! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I don’t know if you post often to the forum but I hope we stay in touch.

4 Likes

Congrats @Gui_Esp Guilherme on being selected as this weeks Gold Pick Member

4 Likes

Great biography @Gui_Esp. My family hosted an exchange student from Brasil about 7 years ago, she was from near Vitoria (Villa Vehla sorry if misspelled). She got me addicted to Garoto chocolates.

Enjoy playing that banjo.

3 Likes

Congrats @Gui_Esp on being the gpotw! Thanks for sharing and taking part in the forum.

2 Likes

:+1:

Take heart, for you are not the first nor will you be the last. I really like paçoquinha - Which is like a peanut treat.

Brasilian food is great… especially Churrasco (Brasilian BBQ). :wink:

3 Likes

Welcome Guilherme!! Hope to see you more around the forum!

Nada, Eu so falo Engles é Portugues, é não fluente em Portugues, so pode falar um poco :joy:

1 Like

I just noticed the typo…

but soeaks several languages

I guess I don’t speak or write English so good! :joy::joy:

3 Likes

Well I understood what you meant lol. Typos are just irritating :joy::joy:

4 Likes

I just got a kick out of the fact that it was in the context of language… when I flub up.

4 Likes

I have played all three guitar mandolin and banjo and I like the banjo better even though I play guitar since I was 15

3 Likes

Welcome back @no1! Nice to see you post again here on the Forum.

2 Likes

nice! parabens!!! :cowboy_hat_face::banjo: