Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Great Deal!

No problem Mike!

Hey that VS is cool hunh? I tell you what, I played a D18V a few months back that had to be one of the best sounding “comfortable” (neck) that I have ever played and it was bran-spanking-new thing had “the sound” for bluegrass. Seems like most of the D28’s and 18’s that are new have issues with the necks and to me they are not comfortable…I think a guy to make it playable for speed/transition would have to bring a new one home and go to sanding on the neck to smooth out that finish some…outside of grabbing some sandpaper and going at it, what is another method for slicking up that finish?

Hmmm… I can still see the guitar through my link. It must be stored in the memory somewhere. It was a pretty good deal on a HD28V, Oldhat. I think I’ve seen 'em go any where from $1800-2200 used and this one was $1500, crazy.

I saw that D18 in your thread Oldhat, I wish I could offer some helpful advice man but I don’t know too much about the vintage instruments. Seems like prices are all over the place. I would need to play something like that and see what happens.

Good luck on the $800 D28, man, now that is a steal.

Here’s a couple pics of the HD28V:

http://i596.photobucket.com/albums/tt45/90RCnTN/big1.jpg

— Begin quote from "Oldhat"

what is another method for slicking up that finish?

— End quote

I have the opposite problem, I like a matte finish on the neck, I tend to stick a bit on polished necks in the summer when it’s more humid. You are in luck though, because as you play it, it will polish out. I have a guitar I bought new at the start of the year. It is not my “everday” player, but it is already pretty polished out where I make contact. If you want the finish polished out quicker, you can rub it out or have a luthier buff it lightly for you. If you are a do it yourself type, you can get light buffing and polishing compounds from stewart macDonald (which is what I suggest). Alternately, some automotive/aircraft light buffing products are safe. I have seen luthiers use Novus #2 followed by novus #1 for rubbing out. Be forewarned, that I don’t know if there is silicone or other bad things in those products. If I was going to buy something for the purpose, I might search the unofficial martin guitar forum… there are quite a few luthiers on there that weigh in on various subjects.
theunofficialmartinguitarforum.yuku.com/