Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Grandfather's Clock (Chet style)

Oooo…nice! I’m going to go back and listen to that a few more times. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thanks Mark!

Nice pinch harmonics. Sounded a bit like Doyle Dykes too. Congrats on banjo camp. Your brand is building. :+1:

2 Likes

Thanks Jack!

That was sweet! Even threw in a chord modulation. Very nice!

Good to see you’re getting some use out of that hat. :grin:

1 Like

Thanks Mark!

Was that the A chord or the D#?

Yep thanks! (I’ll be wearing it at camp too)

Wait never mind. It was the D7 in the key change :man_facepalming:

Beautiful!! thoroughly enjoyed it!

1 Like

Thanks John!

1 Like

Gunnar, you know what, I think you sound better than the best!! No exaggeration… I you-tubed and I liked this arrangement better than anyone else’s among acoustic versions. You did not complicate it too much. Just right mix of ornaments to decorate this song. And key change is also fantastic! Maybe you can steal the bell chiming from Ben, but yours is really beautiful!

1 Like

Wow, thanks! I haven’t seen anyone else play it in fingerstyle (I haven’t looked) only on banjo. I like the harmonics Ben uses, but I like mine better cuz it sounds more like a clock :joy:

Yeah that might be true that there is no other fingerstyle version. Maybe that’s what made me think yours sweeter. I saw one simple fingerstyle arrangement and another doc watson fingerstyle arrangment (not doc watson playing it), yours were better than them. And also above a few other pick versions. I’d love to grab this arrangement from you sometime if/when you have a chance to tab it! (Maybe you should get copyright!) It would easily impress people! Something like the Ben’s liberty, WabashCannonball etc.

Here is an excellent electric guitar version of this… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7ICC2D_8K8

1 Like

I’ve not yet tabbed any arrangement, but I might make a tutorial video, that would be much easier for me than a tab

Sounds great, Gunnar! Looking forward to it… Now this is pushing me to purchase TEF editor to tab it out! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Tried to tab out a few lines using the demo version of TableEdit… I know nowhere close :wink: Need to read the manual to introduce swing etc… But here goes…GrandfatherClock.tef (1.3 KB)

1 Like

I can’t open that file cuz I don’t have a tef player :roll_eyes::joy:

What a bummer… I thought tef viewer was enough which was free…

1 Like

It probably is. But I don’t have it

I was hesitant to have it too as my anti-virus warned me but I have it now… I mean free version… but might get the complete version soon.

Alright, here is a pdf version… but demo would not allow me more than a certain number of measures.

GrandfatherClock.pdf (21.0 KB)

Curious, how do you practice Ben’s advanced lessons without tef?? I guess you do not then.

1 Like

Ok I checked that pdf, but I can’t tell whether it’s accurate or not without holding a guitar as I look at it.

I watch the videos, and memorize the whole thing, then I play it through repeatedly at a slow (and steady) speed. Once I get it all down I use the backing tracks

2 Likes