Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Got a new toy

I spent a week going back to the store to play this amazing Deering Calico. I even brought my Gold Star archtop (my original banjo) and my Twanger to compare the sound side by side. This thing sounds incredible!

Ben also sells Deering, so if you like what you hear, ask Ben for the hook up. The only reason I got this from Fuller’s is because he traded me for some IT work I did for him.

Now I gotta cull the herd. Will probably be letting my Gold Star archtop go.

24 Likes

Sweet! @Mark_Rocka

3 Likes

Congrats Mark :+1::slightly_smiling_face::notes:!!!

4 Likes

Sounds great Mark!! Congrats!

4 Likes

Beautiful!

4 Likes

Wow, that’s a beauty! Sounds great!

2 Likes

Sounding great! Those are really pretty banjos.

3 Likes

Oh brother, I feel your joy! For me it was when I got my Deering Sierra. Not as elegant as the Calico, but that sound!
On another thread I mentioned the “right” banjo is a very personal choice, and you’ll know the right one the first time you strum it.
“How much you want for the Twanger?” he asked idly, with no intention of buying another banjo (just yet.)

1 Like

Sounds punchy! Thanks for the Demo

1 Like

The back/sides on that banjo is beautiful. Glad you’re enjoying the new toy!

I have a Gold Tone Mandolin. They make great instruments for a solid price. Glad you got a upgrade though!

2 Likes

I can’t imagine the tragedy that would have to befall me to let my Twanger go. It’s #3, behind only Ben’s and Robby’s (and Adam’s if you count the prototype.) I hope to pass it down to my son some day.

You know what’s crazy? I did a side by side comparison of my Twanger with the Calico before I bought it. The Twanger is $1700. The Calico is $4900. Did the Calico sound better? I can’t lie. It did. Did it sound 3 times better? Not even close. And both instruments have similar playability. What Ben, Jake, and Robby designed for the money still blows my mind.

I sent detailed pics of my Gold Star archtop over to Jake this morning. He’s going to do some research and let me know a price range he thinks it should sell for. I’ll post it here first when I figure out a price.

6 Likes

Truly stands apart!! I mean, sounding incredible. Enjoy! :slight_smile:

Be honest, @Mark_Rocka, its gotto be more than a toy, it is a kid! :wink:

1 Like

It had BETTER sound better, haha! Thanks man.

2 Likes

I bought two Gold Star flat top 5-strings used, over the years off BHO classifieds and have no regret. Solid intermediate+ banjos.

2 Likes

Nice Mark sounds great

1 Like