Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

God is so Good

Can someone suggest how a beginner (11 yr old) could play this on a banjo? There will be a beginner violinist (that’s why I picked an easy song), ukulele(advanced beginner) guitar (intermediate) and bass guitar (Intermediate). Then I’ll have the youngest 4 singing. But I’m only looking for help with the banjo. Thanks for any help.

3 Likes

Hi Sarah! Welcome to the board!

Are you just looking for a rolling backup or would you like to incorporate the melody into the banjo part?

2 Likes

He’s just a beginner so I was thinking a simple roll, it is a simple enough song that maybe he could pick out the melody for one verse.

This is my fist time writing a tab. Is this right?

1 Like

Sounds good to me, just played it. You might (or might not) want to change the 4th fret G string to open B string.
To add rolls I would just add them where there are rests (mesures 2,4,8)

4 Likes

It’s in G, so that’s a great start! There are 11 worse keys to pick :slight_smile:

This sounds like it will be neat. If you get a video of the performance, please post it.

5 Likes

Definitely agree with Harrison on the 3rd string 4th fret and above. Change all the 3rd string 4th frets to 2nd string open and 3rd string 5th to 2nd string 1st fret.

On the 5th measure, try 2nd string open twice and then 1st string open.

This is melody notes only. Do you think he can handle some rolling backup? Maybe I can tab something out when I get home from work.

2 Likes

Thanks would be awesome! Thanks.

I played around with the rolls on Ben’s lessons and put this together. But I have no idea, do you keep the rest in the same places (measure 2 and 8) or because it’s a backup do you just finish out the roll?

2 Likes

The banjo in my mind says you did pretty darned good! I’ll check it out when I get home.

1 Like

Perfect! Nice pinches in bar 4. Definitely rest the 4 beats in 2 and 8. (The notes hanging out there by themselves might sound a bit funny). Very impressive.

To quote Chevy Chase from the film Modern Problems, “I LIKE IT”!

1 Like

OK, if you think he might want to try some melody notes along with a rolling pattern, try this. If you don’t have a TEF file viewer, download the free TEFView software from here:

http://www.tabledit.com/tefview/

GodIsSoGood.pdf (231.6 KB) GodIsSoGood.tef (1.1 KB)

4 Likes

Wow, great job Mark! Thanks!

2 Likes

Super! Thanks! Once I find out what key we want to do ‘The River of Happiness’ I’ll ask for your help again. Our kids do ‘choir’ (well it turned into more band) once a week with their piano teacher. She does an amazing job with them. They are nowhere near professional, but this mom is proud of them. We also take the songs we learn to a nursing home where my MIL is and play for her. The boy on the bass guitar has been itching to learn Mandolin so that maybe added in the near future.

7 Likes

This is good stuff!!! As a parent you should be proud.

2 Likes

Love it! Great to see kids getting in to music at such a young age. Thanks for sharing!

3 Likes