Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Gibson Mastertone Value

So, I have a chance to bid on a Gibson Mastertone. Can’t say anything about it, other than the pictures seem to show it in very good condition. Can anyone ballpark the value? Going to actually view it later today. Maybe I can get the s/n then,

A “Gibson Mastertone” can be worth anywhere from $100 to $80,000. There’s way too many factors involved to estimate value without knowing what it is.

6 Likes

Really can’t put a value on one without more information and any background pedigree that you can learn on it. Gibson Mastertone banjo’s have significant price range depending on year, model, condition, etc. Would also advice caution when looking at Gibson banjo’s. Many “parts” banjo"s out there with Gibson stamped on them. Many neck makers put Gibson and master tone tags on them. Some neck makers necks actually enhance value. Especially on “prewar” labeled Mastertones. In general it’s always better to buy them from reputable banjo folks that sell them or from an individual that has it well documented OR one that has been in a family for a long time and can give you a good history on it. As for newer models, seventies up until the mid eighties are lower in value due to quality. Greg Rich brought their quality back starting around 1988. Gibson’s made between 1988 and 1992/93 (Greg Rich era) will have more value. Quality stayed good on up until they quit making them in 2010. . The SN on these era banjos will give you year and month of manufacture. Good luck.

4 Likes

Can you post the link?

1 Like

Thank you Chuck. So, I went and looked, but I’m really concerned because I looked at several and couldn’t get from headstocks. Huge red flag?

See any flags? This link has a good pic of the back of the headstock.

Gibson Banjo

At first glance:

• There’s no Mastertone label on the rim.
  • The inlay pattern is a far cry from the Gibson hearts and flowers it resembles
  • The resonator looks cheap from the photo.

That, coupled with the fact that the seller called it a “MASTERTLINE” banjo and didn’t list the banjo’s model, year, serial number, or history, would make me want to run far away.

5 Likes

Yes, big flags.

1. No sticker on the rim.
  2. Rim looks thin so maybe a part of a mid sixties RB250 which would explain no sticker. But parts banjo at best.
  3. Not a Gibson neck.
  4. Only Gibson I am aware of with sunburst type resonators were the 800"s in the late sixties BUT this one is not that.
  5. Mislabeled auction title. These folks have no clue. Big pass on this one.
5 Likes

Thanks to Michael and Chuck for the input. Have a couple more links I’m going to post.

How can you tell if the resonator is cheap?

It just looks strange to be a Gibson to me. Can barely even see the grain in the wood.

2 Likes

Gibson Earl Scruggs Signed? Hmmmm.

Scruggs Signed?

It was too good to be true. These were at an estate auction. The guy was a collector who didn’t even play. Here’s one more I saw just for the info.

Banjo

I appreciate your commentary, because we can learn what to look for and what looks suspicious.

That one is closer. They did not show a pic of the banjo with the resonator off. This could be a Scruggs model mid eighties on up. This listing needs more pictures and information. The SN would be stamped on the inside of the rim which would show you the model, month and year of manufacture. A good picture of the sticker on the rim should also be provided. The case looks correct and in good condition. Hasn’t been out much. For some reason these folks have trouble spelling Mastertone. You may want to ask more questions on this one and have them provide more pictures. For me personally, I don’t buy a banjo unless I play them. Not all “Gibson’s” sound alike. Hopefully it’s close enough for you to put eyes on.

1 Like

Yes, it’s only about 15 minutes away. Will check again. Great input Chuck.

1 Like

Excellent. The last pic also looks interesting. Again, not enough pictures but the thinner resonator may indicate a prewar of some kind. IF it is, I suspect it’s a conversion with a 5 string neck. That one would need some good documentation and some pedigree research if the SN indicates “prewar” era. SN would be on the Rim and “chalked” on the resonator. They should match. It would need to be looked up. Again, if it’s a “prewar”. those banjo’s are a minefield with many gotcha’s.

2 Likes

I see what you mean. Thank you!