Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Getting started with rhythm tracks

Hi John, That is totally understandable and what you have to realize is we all go through that phase of impatience and frustration at our seemingly lack of progress. But if your putting in the time to study and practice then trust me you are making progress even although it may not seem like you are.

You have to remember you are learning a new skill that requires you to multitask. That is a lot of information for your brain to process.

There is so much information to absorb. It takes Patience, Perseverance and Practice, lots of it to learn to play banjo.

So here’s my advice. Work your way through Ben’s Beginner Learning Track. Don’t waste time measuring your skill level with how others are doing,

For now focus ALL your energy on learning the roll patterns in Ben’s Banjo Roll Studies and The Banjo Fret Hand Techniques. These are the key fundamental skills you will need to move forward. If you follow this learning track you will be learning to play some simple tunes as you go. Making progress at your speed and skill level.

Don’t rush through this section take your time and absorb what Ben is teaching you. If you find a task is too difficult, Slow down, break things down to a manageable level. One measure, half a measure or even one note at a time. I still do this when I am struggling.

As for learning the mechanics if it’s killing you Slooooow Down. The best way to practice roll patterns is with a metronome or as I much prefer TablEdit using .tef files. Once you have a grasp of playing rolls practice them whilst watching TV. By doing this you are allowing the brain to begin the process of multitasking. Eventually the brain will do this on auto pilot leaving you to focus on the fretting hand.

Remember the key to progress is listening. Listening to the melody, to yourself and to others in a band.

Now stop fretting and go have some fun.

2 Likes

Perfect @Archie. This advise is dead-on for success!

Hi Archie, thanks again. I have already started following your advice and have slowed way down and surprisingly having a lot more fun. Now that I have been working on these rolls repeatedly, I find that after playing steady for 5 or so minutes, I start missing notes. It’s either I’m losing concentration or my fingers are just getting fatigued. Can tired fingers affect your playing?

Thanks,

John

1 Like

I find the opposite. After five minutes I stop missing notes, and I finally speed up

Hi John, Both, lack of concentration and tired fingers at this stage are common so you will find you do miss strings, and your picks will also get caught in the strings.

Really after five minutes and 9 days practice you are just beginning to warm up, learn to relax and breathe normally and don’t pick too hard . Give your body and your brain a chance to adapt. The more you practice the better you become so it’s a win, win situation.

Your end goal is not to think what roll pattern to play. Overtime you learn to adapt and play any roll pattern, auto pilot will kick in and you stop thinking about the roll completely as your brain takes over.

Do you watch TV when practicing rolls?

If not now is the time to start. With your attention focused on a movie or a ball game you will find you picking hand can go on picking rolls for long periods without you becoming bored. You are also preparing your brain (dividing your thoughts) to focus on your fretting hand whilst the picking hand does it part.

Remember the three P’s Patience, Perseverance and Practice. Lots and lots of it.

This works for me too. I do this often; or a radio mystery or something with a headset on with a banjo mute in place. When I’m in this zone, I can practice a piece slowly and loop the so-called “speed-bumps” that give me difficulty, always demanding perfect even picking and low finger-action from my picking hand. Like magic, you’ll build hand strength, endurance, accuracy, memorization etc… I also feel that stretching my picking hand and hand relaxation exercises is important at least to me. This you might consider if you feel your picking hand getting tense or slow-down a bit. I takes awhile, but with practice & coordination, you’re hand will get more relaxed. While picking speed is important for up-tempo songs, it is dangerous to try to get there too fast and as a result, I only spend about 2% of my practice time on this, never sacrificing evenness of picking or accuracy.

1 Like