Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Getting started with Ben's lessons

Hey all!

I’m a new Gold Pick member. I’ve been picking a little guitar and banjo off and on for a few years but I wanted to add a little structure and direction to my learning. This site seemed like the best option for me since it includes both of my instruments.

I wanted to ask the forum on any tips for learning using Ben’s lessons. Do you do one lesson at a time or work on a few simultaneously? Are you keeping a practice journal and, if so, what does it look like? Are you supplementing this program with any books or other online resources? Any other secrets to success with Banjo Ben?

7 Likes

Welcome @EJohn. I going to give the easy answer and point out the on the lessons page there is a list of Learning Tracks for beginning, intermediate, advanced for each instrument. This will give you a structured outline of a lesson plan.

I kind of bounce around depending on what is striking my interest at that time. I wish I could keep up with a practice journal but I seem to get sidetracked from keeping the journal.

You will find a lot of folks on the forum (and @BanjoBen as well) that can give great advice and pointers on this forum. The forum is a really supportive community.

6 Likes

Welcome to the forum, @EJohn!

Ben has done a great job of making his site a one stop shop. There really isn’t much need for external resources. Check out the lesson plans, especially for the banjo. Ben has outlined lessons from beginning to advanced and everything in between.

All of the lessons have tabs, but I encourage you to watch the videos to make sure you’re not developing any bad habits. Try to mimic Ben’s hand and finger positions. Not only is he a master at efficiency, his hand and finger positions help maximize quality tone.

Check back here often and don’t be afraid to post videos of your progress. Ben’s advice on our video posts has helped me multiple times.

6 Likes

Welcome @EJohn! Honored to have you on board! These folks gave some great tips, and you can also keep coming to the forum and asking any question you have as you progress!

7 Likes

Hi @EJohn Eric welcome to @BanjoBen 's Forum.

I have been a Lifetime Gold Pick Member for at least a decade been studying banjo for 15 years. So I guess I can say I have done all the things you ask and more in that time. I have worked on single lessons, I have worked on multiple lessons. I kept a journal for a many years but I no longer keep it up.

I have supplemented my studies with DVDs, books and other online teaching resources, pretty much every teaching resource out there, but I consider @BanjoBen my go to teacher. He is after all THE BEST.

My advice is to start with the Beginners Learning Track get to know how Ben structures his lessons, get familiar with the TAB TEF files and pretty soon you’ll be able to take on any challenge Ben has set.

Everyone here on the Forum is friendly, so if you have a query just ask we will do our best to help if Ben is not available to answer right away.

There are no secrets other than study well and practice regularly. Ben’s lessons are interesting, challenging but mostly just fun. So go enjoy yourself.

6 Likes

Welcome, @EJohn! I’ll echo what others have said, the learning tracks are great, but I’d also like to mention that Ben has lessons on the site specifically about how to practice. Those lessons will help you structure your practice sessions to get the most out of them. Might want to check those out.

6 Likes

Great comments above and welcome!

I think a good time to consider adding another song to what you are learning is once you have a song committed to memory. Once you hit that point, you have already probably ingrained good (or bad habits) and it’s just training to get better, smoother and faster.

Regarding a journal, I found it was helpful while I was “serious.” Once I hit a certain speed on a song, it is hard to see progress, but keeping a journal of your clean speeds on various songs helps you recognize progress over weeks. On the other hand it can help you realize that you are stuck and could then lead you to investigate what is holding you back.

Have fun with it!

5 Likes
  1. Use the Forum & Video Swap. One is good for tips & ideas while the other is excellent at helping you get past the stage fright/self-consciousness that afflicts everyone at one time or another. Trust me. We all look/sound/perform terribly on video! :grin:
    1a) Always have fun!

2. Go slow to play fast.

3. Never forget Rule 1a.

As a Beginner, that’s my expert advice. It seems to work. Four years ago, all I could do was listen to "Foggy Mountain Breakdown.’ Today, I can still listen to it, but this time it’s me playing it!
Of course, I don’t play it like Earl did, but I agree with G. K. Chesterton:
“Anything worth doing is worth doing badly.”

8 Likes

Welcome aboard Eric!! Lots of fantastic advice here… don’t hesitate to reach out here to share any questions (or just anything you’re working on)! We love to chat and help out.

Also, you have a great name for guitar! :guitar:

5 Likes

Welcome to the website and the forum, @EJohn!
Wow, some great questions…and some great answers! I can’t add anything of substance to what’s above, but just wanted to offer encouragement and echo the forum is a great resource. There are a lot of us out here, and there’s not likely a situation you might face that someone else hasn’t experienced. Have fun and happy pickin’!

9 Likes