Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Gear Review - Banjo Mute

If you have read some of my posts, you’ll know that I’m a little weird about sound. So it came as a bit of a surprise to me that I would order a banjo mute from the General Store. Maybe it was to get the free shipping, I dunno. But I watched Jake’s video & figured, “Of course a geetar player would think a banjo mute is a good thing.”

However, I was intrigued, so I went ahead and ordered the El Cheapo with the web address printed on it. I think the Cadillac version costs a couple bucks more. Turns out the El Cheapo is less expensive, but still first quality.
While it does makes the banjo quieter, it does NOT take away that special banjo ring. I expected it to muffle the sound, make it sound muddy like listening through a pillow. But that’s not the case.
Yes, it lowers the volume significantly, but it also imparts a different tone to the banjo, almost as if you were playing with a capo in a different key. Yeah, some things sound a little off, but this is not for the concert hall, it’s for the practice room.
After a while, I actually began to appreciate the strange tone, and I was not as self-conscious about making mistakes loudly.
Maybe if it was called a “banjo practice bar” instead of a “mute” I would have been less hesitant. After trying it,though, I can honestly recommend it to anyone who wants to really work their banjo without cracking the plaster in the walls.

And that’s another Expert Opinion from a Beginner. :+1::grin:

15 Likes

Great review and I agree!

4 Likes

Yes, I agree! I purchased one a couple of months ago, same one with the web logo as in the pic. The tone is different, but its still a banjo, and much more quiet. I use it all the time when the wife is home. Of course, when she goes to work, I turn up the volume… because I like the sound of it!!

3 Likes

I was going to get one, but then I got to thinking I haven’t had any complaints so why on earth would i put a mute on my banjo. :thinking::joy: Probably would be smart to have one stashed somewhere though. Thanks for the insight @BanJoe :+1:

1 Like

I had to get one. When I started to play the mandolin, I didn’t get any complaints. Messed around a bit on the guitar, no complaints. Got a 3/4 upright bass that rattles the pictures on the wall, still, no complaints. Picked on the banjo for the first time and got “THAT IS TOO LOUD!” Recently picked up a fiddle (thanks @Jake) , and made sure to get a mute for that too!

3 Likes