Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Fresh Meat!

Hi all! I am new to the group and want to introduce myself. My name is James and I am learning to play banjo. One day last summer my wife and I were window shopping and we saw a banjo in the window of a local pawn shop. She hardheartedly made the comment that if I learned to play she would let me get one. That planted the bug in my head that just resonated. Well I finally wore her down and she let me get a little 5-string Ibanez. Finding instructors on the olympic peninsula of the Pacific Northwest is nearly impossible. I started by doing Jim Pankey’s beginner banjo lessons and they were really good but I reached the end of those after a few months. I started trolling around Banjo Ben’s website and watching him on youtube and decided a gold membership is what I really wanted for Christmas and my family came through. So here I am! I’m excited to get to know you all and look forward to learning with you all.

James

13 Likes

Hi James Welcome to @BanjoBen 's Forum. Jim Pankey’s tutorials are a great way to get into playing the 5 string banjo however you will soon discover that Ben’s lessons will take you to another level. I have been a Life Member for about six/seven years now and I am still learning new stuff.

I would encourage you to work through the beginner learning path, there will be things in there you already know but it does no harm to review Ben’s teaching style and how it differs from Jim. Once you have the fundamentals down try your hand at the Intermediate and Advanced Lessons. Be sure to check out the Build-a-Break, Fretboard Geography and Bag of Licks Lessons they are packed full of little gems to enhance your knowledge and playing skills. There is no pathway to follow in the Intermediate & Advance Section just pick any lesson you fancy.

If you have any questions do not hesitate to ask. Everyone here is real friendly and we all want to see you progress and make the most from your membership. Happy Pickin

7 Likes

Welcome @GoinCoastal !! That may just end up being the best Christmas present you ever got! As @Archie said, @BanjoBen s lessons are great on several layers. They are instructional, educational, and probably most of all, FUN!! I haven’t been a member long, but have used his videos for a while, and what you get from him is great stuff.

Glad to have you here, and I’m sure you will find the folks here and the help and advice they offer is second to none!!

6 Likes

I’m sure honored to have you on board, @GoinCoastal, and thank y’all for the kind words!

6 Likes

Welcome!

3 Likes

Not a Banjo player myself but fairly new to site myself so welcome!

4 Likes

You landed on the best banjo/guitar/mandolin learning site on the planet IMO so welcome and congrats!

5 Likes

Welcome to the site & forum James!

4 Likes

Welcome! Glad to meet you!

4 Likes

Welcome aboard, @GoinCoastal !

4 Likes

You shure found the right spot! Welcome

4 Likes

Thanks everyone for the kind welcome!

James

4 Likes