Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Fred Boettger from Glendale, OH!

Tell us about you and your family!
I’m married to my pickin lovin wife, Darcie and I have three step-sons and one daughter. I also have two newfoundland dogs and a lab to round out the family.

What was it that first got you interested in playing the guitar, mandolin or banjo?
I started playing guitar as a kid and have just always loved the sound of bluegrass.

How long have you been playing and what’s your motivation to play?
My wife bought me my first banjo several years ago and I get motivated every time I see a live performance.

What’s your favorite lesson on Ben’s site and how has it helped you improve?
I love the Tony Wray videos. Getting to sit in on a session with Ben and Tony at banjo camp was awesome to see how they are “in tune” but very different players.

Are there any other instruments or genres of music that you enjoy playing?
I am equally mediocre at mandolin.

Do you have a favorite technique? What is it?
if only!

If you could play in anyone’s band, who would it be and why?
I do love Watchtower (formerly Mandolin Orange)

What type of gear or accessories have you found that work best for you?
I got an old Orpheum banjo and it sounds great.

If money was no object, what would be your dream instrument(s)?
Stelling Banjo all the way!

When you’re not pickin’, what else do you spend your time doing?
I’m a video producer, my wife and I do some motorcycle riding and I occasionally officiate a wedding.

Anything else you’d like to add?
I really enjoyed banjo camp and all the variety of topics. Great speakers and instruction and I met some great folks.

How did you find out about Banjo Ben?
Found online

Thanks for letting us feature you Fred!

14 Likes

Hey! There’s my campground neighbor, Fred! We hung out after camp every night at Cedar Creek campground. Fred is good people!

Congrats on being the GPOTW!

I really enjoyed your story Fred. I didn’t know that Mandolin Orange has changed their name so was glad for that tidbit. Congratulations on being GPOTW.

1 Like

gif Fred on being selected as this weeks Gold Pick Member. Are you sure your not Alan Munde’s twin bro!

My wife knew they changed their name, but didn’t know the new one. Yes indeed, thanks for that tidbit & congrats!

EDIT: I just checked & the new name pasted here is incorrect. The actual new name of Mandolin Orange is “Watchhouse.” (Yes, they’ve “changed their name to serve you better.”)

“Dearest Friends:
We’re very excited to share some foundational news today—our band is now called Watchhouse. It’s a new name to carry this music you know as Mandolin Orange into the future.”

Watchtower gets you a bunch of Jimi Hendrix covers.

2 Likes

Congrats and Welcome, Fred!! It was cool to meet you at camp, I hope to see you around the forum!!