Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Foggy Mountain Rock

This is such a cool tune! I learned it yesterday and decided to play with the slower of the two tracks cuz I liked the swingier more bluesy feel

17 Likes

Cool Doggies! :hotdog: @Dragonslayer! :dog2:

Selfishly, I was hoping for more blues licks but recognize that this is a Rock jam.

Man, I wish I could play thatā€¦ and just dirty it up.

Gunnar, did you ever check out that Greensky Bluegrass ā€œLiving Overā€ tune? I so like the Dobro in that songā€¦ Epic!

4 Likes

Great picking and smooth sliding Gunnar! Iā€™m wondering why you and other dobroists (is that a word?) kinda turn over your left hand in between slides. Is it to loosen your wrist?

4 Likes

That is great! And you just learned it, wow! Iā€™m wondering about what Harrison asked you as wellā€¦ Iā€™ve noticed that here and there tooā€¦ hah! inquiring minds want to know :grin:

5 Likes

A real toe tapper!

3 Likes

I do it too, and Iā€™m not sure whyā€¦ It just feels natural to do it for some reason.

2 Likes

That was really good Gunnar!

3 Likes

Thanks yā€™all!

I donā€™t think so, I know you had recommended some songs but I was in poor internet and forgot

Idk actually, Iā€™m glad to hear that other dobroists do it lol. I guess the only way to find out is for you to become one and tell me!

4 Likes

That sounds cool man! I could listen to it all day.

3 Likes

@Dragonslayer,

I just really appreciate the Dobro in this song and the sounds of itā€¦ plus the song is absolutely Epic to me.

Proud these guys are from my home state of Michigan - Billy Strings too .

Even as it isnā€™t traditional Bluegrass, I think you are open-minded (dare I say, adventurous) to appreciate - well, that is my intent, anywayā€¦ :smirk:

1 Like

Plus, I find the video entertaining too.

Extra credit if you can get that opening lick down (the one that starts at 0:36) and postā€¦ Even just that would inspire!

Enjoyā€¦ especially the Dobro solo that starts a 4:38!

1 Like

This sounds sooooo good at this tempo. Part of me really wants to do this (not the part that controls my wallet). I just saw a (donate what you can) live FaceBook lesson for Ashokan Farewell given by Ivan Rossenburg. It maybe just about over now but seems to be a recurring thing and good quality.

3 Likes

Thanks @stephen_cassell and @jonny1!

@WillCoop I actually have seen that video before, I just didnā€™t remember. Itā€™s cool, although Iā€™m not sure about the lyricsā€¦

4 Likes

@Dragonslayer,

Admittedly, the words are quirky. I have seen this similarly quirky style on many of their tunes.

Like another song of theirs, ā€œMerely Avoidingā€ (about an eventual break-up that is sensed before the end):

These answers donā€™t elude me, Iā€™m merely avoiding what I feared all along that they could beā€¦

Regarding the video song, ā€œLiving Overā€, I find it clever the way the 3 verses are sung like this:

1st Verse: Maybe weā€™re dying or maybe weā€™re living, over and over - again

2nd Verse: Maybe weā€™re dying or maybe weā€™re living, over and overā€¦ and over and over (2x) - again

3rd Verse (after solo section): Maybe weā€™re dying or maybe weā€™re living, over and overā€¦ and over and overā€¦ and over and over (3x) - again

2 Likes

amazing!!

2 Likes

Thanks!