Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Foggy Mountain Rock

This is such a cool tune! I learned it yesterday and decided to play with the slower of the two tracks cuz I liked the swingier more bluesy feel

17 Likes

Cool Doggies! :hotdog: @Dragonslayer! :dog2:

Selfishly, I was hoping for more blues licks but recognize that this is a Rock jam.

Man, I wish I could play that… and just dirty it up.

Gunnar, did you ever check out that Greensky Bluegrass “Living Over” tune? I so like the Dobro in that song… Epic!

4 Likes

Great picking and smooth sliding Gunnar! I’m wondering why you and other dobroists (is that a word?) kinda turn over your left hand in between slides. Is it to loosen your wrist?

4 Likes

That is great! And you just learned it, wow! I’m wondering about what Harrison asked you as well… I’ve noticed that here and there too… hah! inquiring minds want to know :grin:

5 Likes

A real toe tapper!

3 Likes

I do it too, and I’m not sure why… It just feels natural to do it for some reason.

2 Likes

That was really good Gunnar!

3 Likes

Thanks y’all!

I don’t think so, I know you had recommended some songs but I was in poor internet and forgot

Idk actually, I’m glad to hear that other dobroists do it lol. I guess the only way to find out is for you to become one and tell me!

4 Likes

That sounds cool man! I could listen to it all day.

3 Likes

@Dragonslayer,

I just really appreciate the Dobro in this song and the sounds of it… plus the song is absolutely Epic to me.

Proud these guys are from my home state of Michigan - Billy Strings too .

Even as it isn’t traditional Bluegrass, I think you are open-minded (dare I say, adventurous) to appreciate - well, that is my intent, anyway… :smirk:

1 Like

Plus, I find the video entertaining too.

Extra credit if you can get that opening lick down (the one that starts at 0:36) and post… Even just that would inspire!

Enjoy… especially the Dobro solo that starts a 4:38!

1 Like

This sounds sooooo good at this tempo. Part of me really wants to do this (not the part that controls my wallet). I just saw a (donate what you can) live FaceBook lesson for Ashokan Farewell given by Ivan Rossenburg. It maybe just about over now but seems to be a recurring thing and good quality.

3 Likes

Thanks @stephen_cassell and @jonny1!

@WillCoop I actually have seen that video before, I just didn’t remember. It’s cool, although I’m not sure about the lyrics…

4 Likes

@Dragonslayer,

Admittedly, the words are quirky. I have seen this similarly quirky style on many of their tunes.

Like another song of theirs, “Merely Avoiding” (about an eventual break-up that is sensed before the end):

These answers don’t elude me, I’m merely avoiding what I feared all along that they could be…

Regarding the video song, “Living Over”, I find it clever the way the 3 verses are sung like this:

1st Verse: Maybe we’re dying or maybe we’re living, over and over - again

2nd Verse: Maybe we’re dying or maybe we’re living, over and over… and over and over (2x) - again

3rd Verse (after solo section): Maybe we’re dying or maybe we’re living, over and over… and over and over… and over and over (3x) - again

2 Likes

amazing!!

2 Likes

Thanks!