Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Foggy Mountain Breakdown

Just a quick note on picks, for the last year I have been trying everything I could many many picks and from 35 bucks ea/ to .50 cents each and last month I found a great one, it’s a V pick acoustic, also called the screamer on their site. It is a pointed pick and I have found it to be very accurate and comfortable. Only costs 4.00 and super fast shipping…Jerry

I know this is an old post but here goes nothing. I have been just starting to learn the foggy mnt brkdown and I can tell you the first 10 bars are hard to get but they are for sure easier than the rest of it . I am about 170 beats on the first ten , I do find that giving it a try to play fast does eventually get you there. if you are practicing who cares how many mistakes are made just play it fast and that is what Tony Rice does and he also said that playing a scale or any part of a tune as fast as you can play it will aid in playing faster . I will take that advice and also watch your pick strokes up and down . some of the pull offs have to played up or down to get the right sound try both if you are not sure. I mean by that you either pull down and off or up and off. It all rests on your shoulders it is hard work but should be a labor of love for the instrument. Main thing is enjoy it . have fun with it .