Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Foggy Mountain Breakdown!

Been a little while since I did a video with the banjo, so I figured why not do FMB. I’ve been meaning to do a video of it for a while. The first two solos are the Scruggs solos, the third I came up with, and the last one is also Scruggs. I added a few of Ben’s licks here and there too

30 Likes

jpg Gunnar

5 Likes

Great picking Gunnar! Nice to see a new video from you! Very talented…

5 Likes

Cookin’ !

3 Likes

Love what you did there! Very Nice indeed!!! :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Thanks y’all!!

3 Likes

Cool licks!

3 Likes

Back with a banjo! :slight_smile:

1 Like

That was excellent I’m trying to master the fmbd lick in Ben’s breakdown how do you think I could turn that into fmbd ( I have the tabs but having trouble speeding the lick up, cleanly

4 Likes

Hi Jesse,

As I recall that was one of the toughest licks to get my head round when I was a beginner.

Let me just say speed is not what you should be focusing on whilst trying to learn this lick. Cleanness and accuracy should be your goal.

If you have a metronome set the speed to 60 bpm and just practice the roll pattern for a week. 2121 5215 IMTM TIMT - Timing is really important to get the lick to work. So getting a clean hammer-on is the next challenge, you need to pick the string then hammer down so you get a second note. Practice slow and accurate, speed will come with time and experience. It will help you to listen to the lick being played over and over. Set the tef file in a loop and listen for the spaces between the notes. When you can play the lick comfortably at 60 bpm increase the speed to 70 bpm

Remember Patience, Practice and Perseverance will help you achieve your goal

5 Likes

Thanks

2 Likes

There a few hot licks in there…good job!

1 Like

Thanks!