Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

First Jam In Three Years

Haven’t been on here much in the past month. My wife and I have been busy on the road from Oregon to NY, down through the midwest then down here to Florida . We got a break in our busy schedule and treated ourselves to a jam down on the southwest gulf’s edge. Three years ago we did this every week on Thursdays. It was the first time in three years since I’ve played with anyone other than myself. It was so great to see some of my ole pickin friends again and meet new ones. One fiddle gal had a really nice Gold Tone out in her trunk that she graciously offered me to use. (I wasn’t able to bring my Deering when we left Oregon). Point of this chit-chat is really to express my growing appreciation to @BanjoBen for all he’s done as my instructor. My recent study of his “Whiskey Before Breakfast” (@Mark_Rocka). “Will The Circle”, “Wildwood Flower”, “Bury Me”, “Nine Pound Hammer”, Made for a great time. Can’t say there wasn’t a few train wrecks along the way, but I’m so glad I’ve maintained my banjo practicing over the past several years. (You never know when the chance to play in a jam comes up). One particular tune that just would not work for me though was “Home Sweet Home” I just could not make that sound right with the group and stay in time, but if all goes well, I may get another shot at it next Thursday. Keep practicing everyone, and thanks to all who’ve helped, and encouraged me to keep at it here on the forum. :grinning:

10 Likes

That’s awesome! It’s been so long since I’ve made it to a jam, I get excited hearing when others get to.

Looking forward to your next report!

4 Likes

such as… oh… the old 97 perhaps?

Hey Butch, welcome back to Florida, where are you? Your Thursday jam, was that in Dunedin by chance?

1 Like

@Butch,

Welcome back!

1 Like

Ha good one Maggie, 97 - Really liked that one! No they were the real deal lol. I’m in North Port. The Thursday Jams are in Port Charlotte, they used to be in Punta Gorda.

1 Like

Thanks Will.

Cool :sunglasses: story, I had my first (ever) jam yesterday, we meet every thursday too. I had to sing “Wabash Cannonball”, and had some “wrecks”, but not on ol’ 97.:wink:

6 Likes

That’s so cool! You’ll always remember it. Congratulations, may you have many many more! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

That is so great to hear and a wonderful encouragement to ME!

4 Likes