Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Fingur Pikin Git

I have a question as I use medium strings for flat picking and I can finger pick some of them like Amazing grace , Jesus loves me, and Silent night in G but when we get to the point of having to use the pinky on some chords at the seventh fret like on "Deep river blues it is brutal on the pinky even on the 1st string it hurts. Do we Get the pinky calloused up and use mediums or use light gauge so give me a recommendation any one . finger picking light gauge ??? I see the advantage in finger picking because a lot of them are right hand only just change chords and you are good to go . I have the first bar learned in deep river blues the rest should take another four years LOL. I have heard if you can get past the first bar the rest is easy . MMMMM?

I generally have a slight preference for lighter strings for finger picking, but that pinky will adjust either way (light or mediums).

D’Addario EJ19 Bluegrass guage strings are actually medium/lights. .056, .045, .035 on the bottom end and .025, .016, .012 on top. That may be a good compromise for you.

OK enough already here, no more flat picking guitar anymore??? I have learned to fingerpick a little but I am missing the flat picking stuff around here!!! :frowning: