Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Fiddle?

thanks Larry! I’ve been meaning to learn the piano too though! :smiley:

Piano, huh? Hadn’t calculated on that. I’ll just stack my living room furniture in the garage to make room. :wink:

I played violin about 35 years ago. I still have the instrument. Today, for the first time I remember since I was a kid, I played it a bit. My dog looked at me like I was punishing him and left to the far end of the house and one of my cats gave me a perplexed look with an oddly tilted head for a few minutes. Perhaps she thought I was trying to speak cat.

It took me 30 minutes to tune it and get the bridge sitting decent. My tone was not good and my intonation was only predictable on open strings. Nowhere to go but up :laughing:

Amazingly, the instrument seems to be no worse for wear after sitting unused for that long. I think the bridge might be a bit warped, but so am I. I am sure it would benefit from new bow hair (I should probably just get a new bow) and strings, but I figure I may as well get a bit better so I can appreciate it. I am thinking Ashokan Farewell would be nice to learn. I hope to be playing some of the simpler fiddle tunes before too long. I hope to be playing them well enough to play in front of others within a few decades.

I also play fiddle and would LOVE to take lessons from you. I’m a gold pick member, but I would not hesitate to buy gold bow membership as well!!!

5 Likes