Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Feeling a bit down

Been suffering some health issues recently and not sure if it’s connected but my banjo playing has slid downhill and it’s really bugging me. I feel I’ve dropped back a whole year. It’s difficult to explain but my right hand seems to have lost the correct tension I used to have. You know that sweet spot where your right hand feels just comfortable and your fingers can move faster.
I know a recent hospital visit the nurses tried to take blood 3 times and in the end shoved the needle right into a nerve that was pretty damn painful and caused a burning right up to my shoulder and down to my fingertips. So I guess that probably hasn’t helped my right hand.
I felt I was really achieving my goal to improve on the banjo and now I’ve been knocked back so it’s been a bit depressing music wise.
So to try and see if I can improve my right hand again I’ve slowed to snails pace and just going through tunes I know and repetitive rolls to see if I can strengthen my hand and fingers.

7 Likes

I’m so sorry @Jono! You"ll be in our prayers! Thanks for sharing.

5 Likes

Sorry to hear that, Hope the condition is temporary and improves soon.

I guess you would want to consult the same doctor/hospital. If it is not due to the visit, your neck or hip/lower back could be playing a part too… Proper neck positioning, gentle neck massage with your hand could help too in that case.

3 Likes

Man, who knows? Praying you’ll feel better soon. May our little community lift you up and encourage you.

5 Likes

Thanks all, that’s a good point about posture. I will try and work on that and see if it helps. :+1:

5 Likes

Hey @Jono, hang in there! Truthfully I feel the same way. I’m having to work on my banjo playing more than I ever have and it’s frustrating, but part of the process. We can do it!

8 Likes

Thanks Ben. I’ve just been trying to enjoy playing and not put so much pressure on myself until my health improves. I won’t give up. :wink::+1:

4 Likes