Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Farewell to Salt River Festival

My old friend has some rare terminal cancer and is doing his best to hang on well enough the next couple weeks to make a showing at his last festival he will be promoting.

I helped build several of the buildings on the property, and have performed with several different bands on stage over the years. I even wrote a song about the cabin there on the property where we used to hang out picking music and such nearly every weekend for many years.

I’ll be heading up on the 27th with a heavy heart.

https://bluegrasstoday.com/40th-to-be-final-year-for-salt-river-bluegrass-festival/

1 Like

I’m so sorry to hear this, brother! I hope and pray this last time with your friend will be full of joy and lasting memories!

1 Like

thanks Ben.

He’s currently at home on alternating days of sugar water or saline right now. Intravenous feeding is cost prohibitive and not covered by insurance.

So, so sad. I’m familiar with that. It just breaks my heart. Please tell him I’m praying for he and his family.

Will do.

Man I’m sorry to hear that. I hope you guys pull out all the stops this one last time. Send him out on a high note.

Thoughts and prayers are with you.

Hope all goes well Dave, My thoughts and prayers are with you guys.

George Carr is surely devoted to the love of bluegrass. You guys did a lot of work throughout the years on this festival and I’m sure it will hold fond memories for you. I hope George enjoys his 40th creation and everyone has a wonderful time.

I’ve known George since 76 or 7 and I know his biggest wish is just for people have fun picking & singing bluegrass…I’ll be playing one way or another as much a i can while it lasts…:notes:

I can’t even begin to relate the many fantastic, fun times I spent there on the property over the years.

1 Like

Thought I’d share the lyrics of the song I wrote about George"s campground…

The Cabin Song

We started on that cabin with just piles of planks & logs
Stripping bark from new-cut pine in the early morning fog
Chinking walls and cutting notches all with loving care by hand
And the old dog watched us closely as he lay there in the sand

When the work was done we all sat down to a celebration feast
Some sat out on the front porch that faced off toward the East
Some sat in at the table, covered with a gingham clothe
Next to the big bay window that faced off toward the South

Oh that little old log cabin in the woods I love so well
I haven’t been up there to see it now for quite a spell
and I wonder if the old gang still meets there each FRiday night
Singing all the old songs right up 'til the morning light

Well I never missed a weekend at the cabin the year around
I was drawn to those good people and that down home bluegrass sound
Then I joined a band and travelled away & ain’t been there in years
Now I’m headed back, my eyes are filled with joyful tears

For that little old log cabin in the woods I love so well
I haven’t been up there to see it now for quite a spell
and I’m hoping that the old gang still meets there each FRiday night
Singing all the old songs right up 'til the morning light

4 Likes

Great Lyrics Dave, how about some banjo and vocals to make them come alive.

Love it!

Ha, Archie ask and you shall receive…I actually found an old, old recording of it with about only that much in it…My friend Luke Gitchel is helping on banjo.

This was originally penned with a Reno & Harrell type harmony in mind for the chorus…just never got that far with it.

the pic is at the cabin in the song and is of George, I and our buddies we used to pick with …these guys were my closest friends back around the late '70’s & early '80’s

5 Likes

Great job Dave… I am sure it brings back fond memories.

That it does…best times of my life.

1 Like