Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Fallen In With A Bad Crowd

A guitar player from my church invited me to sit in with his guitar group which meets once a month. Since I’m more of a fool than an angel, I rushed at the chance to pick with them this Wednesday night.
I have no idea what kinda of group it is, but “they will be graduating three” and one of the songs is a favorite of “a previous graduate.”
The evening will also include a featured vocalist, “an exceptional school trained soprano and teaches vocal music locally.”

This morning I received the song list, but no pdf’s.
A Horse With No Name.pdf>
Dont Think Twice.pdf>
Clancy Lowered the Boom.pdf>
Hit the Road Jack in Em.pdf>
Hallelujah final 2.pdf>
Get Along.pdf>
Margaritavile.pdf>
Summertime George Gershwin JG.pdf>
Take Me Home Country Roads 2.pdf>
Stand by Me combined.pdf>
The Wild Rover in G.pdf>
What a Wonderful World.pdf>
Til My Last Day by Justin Moore 2.pdf>

“Horse With No Name” should be fun. Only two chords, an Em and a D6/9/F# which I believe is pronounced “D sixth 9th inverted in F sharp.”
Yes, I will be wearing my fireproof clothing as I fully expect to crash & burn.

What are the odds someone asks for Foggy Mountain Breakdown, The Beverly Hillbillies or That Song From The Movie?

6 Likes

You could make them 100% if you ask.

4 Likes

Be sure to wear your hard hat @BanJoe you never know what’s in store.

3 Likes

I’d rather be proactive and click on the store tab to find out… :joy:

I just found out this morning what kind of group I’ll be with tonight, and I am both shocked & deeply humbled.
Tonight I’ll be picking with the local chapter of “G4V.”
https://guitars4vets.org/

Forget the fire proof suit. I’ll be having the humble pie.

3 Likes

As expected, I went to play with fear in my heart. As I SHOULD have expected, I had a great time! 15 guitars and one lone banjo. Perfect opportunity to practice my quiet backup playing, which I did on several songs.
As vets with PTSD, the songs choices were very personal. Several of them were nothing I could work with, like the one in the key of E. I made a good listener.
Others were more comfortable for me. Doing a solo break was never an option, as this was more of a class/session for the group rather than a jam.

They never did say what key a song was in. Instead it was “capo 4” or “capo 2.”

The leader did share an interesting left-hand exercise.
Spread your fingers over the span of four frets on a single string. Do not press down, rather let your fingers rest lightly on the string.
Starting with your index finger, simply tap the top string then the bottom string…1 & 4 on a banjo. Do not move any other fingers off the string.
Do it again with the middle finger, then your ring finger and finally your pinky.
Next, move two fingers together, touching top & bottom string while not moving the other two.
Work with different finger combination.
It ain’t easy, but it does gradually teach your fingers how to work independently.
Do this for about 3-5 minutes in every practice session.
CAUTION: If it hurts, stop doing it. Finger tendons do not respond well to excess stretching.

Although I was welcomed & would be welcomed back next month, I do not think I will go back. As I mentioned, it is a class/session, not a jam.
They don’t need a class clown.

3 Likes