Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Fall 2021 Cabin Camp Song List!

I really miss the old intro :smile:

2 Likes

I think he should record lessons in that outfit!

With a horse, of course.

3 Likes

I’m excited about this lesson. Thank you.

1 Like

@Archie this lesson complements the backup session with Katy, covered in April at camp.

3 Likes

Thank you @5-StringPilgrim Jeffery. Unfortunately I wasn’t able to attend the camp and would have loved to be able to sit in on Katy’s lesson. I have always been fascinated by her ability to play backup whilst she sings.

2 Likes

Hello everyone. I’m bringing my mandolin to the November Texas camp. I mainly want to learn what people tend to look for in a bandmate and how to communicate song ideas with one another. I have mostly played guitar on my own and sung. I have done duets with other vocalists but I have very little experience playing with other people (some very loose jam sessions.) I love having the date on my calendar and the song list to focus my attention and set goals. I’m 6’8" and I chose mandolin because my friend Jay said he wants to see the largest person he knows play the smallest instrument he knows. I like to sing and I want to learn to sing while I play the mandolin (I can do so with guitar.)

8 Likes

It’ll be good to have someone around for me to look up to! ha! Can’t wait to meet you, @brian.mabry.edwards!

You have a great question there and you should know that one of the big things we learn & work on at Cabin Camp is precisely how to be a bandmate and communicate musical ideas. A large percentage of campers have little to no experience making music with others–you’re gonna be just fine. I’m excited for you to come out to the farm. It’s gonna be one heckuva weekend!

7 Likes

I’m definitely looking forward to it!

Looking at the Old Joe Clark (Mandolin Beginner) it says key of A and there is an A major chord, and then an E major chord, all good, then a G major chord in the B part, woh! Where did that come from? Is that just some odd ball thing that works in this song? This web tool http://musictheorysite.com/namethatkey/ just goes bonkers if I put in A E and G major. I mostly want to double check that I am reading the tab correctly.

3 Likes

Yup, it’s correct! The G major is the flat 7th tone in the key of A, which gives this song a bluesy feel. The frequent use of the flat 7th tone in this song puts it in the Mixolydian mode, but you probably don’t need to worry about modes yet :grin:… unless you’re a theory nerd like me…

7 Likes