Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

F chord

— Begin quote from "ez2cy"

oK…3 year old here…lol

I take my Android and go to App store? or Google it? God I’m a phone reject…LOL

— End quote

Try the neighbor boy again :smiley:

So to carry this a little further, to make sure I’m right.

I know playing the F chord using the y position as Ben calls it, I move up a couple of frets to get the next chord. The 3rd string fretted note is the root note to the chord, Correct?

Also, playing the D chord or x position, I’m assuming its the same, but the root note would be on the fretted 4th string, correct.

Sorry folks, been watching Bens vids on this and just want to make sure I have down exactly right. I’ve been working on picking in the past but think I need to get the chords down so I can jam with others.

Unfortunately you don’t have it yet.

A major chord is made up of three notes, the root, the third and the fifth. The root is the same as the first note of the scale, the third is the third note and the fifth is the fifth note. So if you play G major, the three notes are G,B and D.

In the F position (3213 fourth to first string, I don’t use Ben’s X and Y nomenclature so I don’t know which is which), if you play a G major (5435) then the fourth string is a G, the third string is a B, the second string is a D and the first string is a G. So in that position, either the first string or the fourth string would indicate the root of the chord.

If you play a D major chord, the three notes will be D, F sharp and A. In the D position (4234 fourth to first string), if you play a D major, then the fourth string is an F sharp, the third string is an A, the second string is a D and the first string is an F sharp. So in this case the root is on the second string. (Note too that your three finger C major chord (2012) is played in the D position except that you don’t ‘finger’ the open third string. Your second string, first fret is a C, the root of the chord).

When you barre a chord, the root is on the third string.

I hope this was clear but if not, just keep asking and we can clear up any confusion.

Y position: fretted note on the 4th string
X position: fretted note on the 2nd string
Barre: fretted note on the 3rd string

Ok, further down the road in my journey of stupid questions.

If I’m playing around a campfire and going to play a song that is in G. Person singing it, wants to sing in A. Easy enough I just Capo. However, there is a guitar player there that just knows some chords. (hope I don’t lose you)

So, If the song is G,D,C chords, my capo’ing would move me up one whole to A, right? So is that all I would have to tell the person playing the guitar? They would be chording A ,E,D? Or is my thinking wrong again?

Yes you have it. That is correct.

Ok, further down the road in my journey of stupid questions.

If I’m playing around a campfire and going to play a song that is in G. Person singing it, wants to sing in A. Easy enough I just Capo. However, there is a guitar player there that just knows some chords. (hope I don’t lose you)

So, If the song is G,D,C chords, my capo’ing would move me up one whole to A, right? So is that all I would have to tell the person playing the guitar? They would be chording A ,E,D? Or is my thinking wrong again?

— End quote

Yahtzee!

Or he could simply capo the 2nd fret and take off just like the banjo would.

they are worse than, wouldn’t know what a capo is Bearded.

Say, if I bought another new banjo, could I ship it to you, you could play it for 6 months so it looks used and I’ll come and pick it up?

Say, if I bought another new banjo, could I ship it to you, you could play it for 6 months so it looks used and I’ll come and pick it up?

— End quote

I’m just the kind’a guy that would do something like that! :smiley: