Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Eugene Fox from Foley, MO!

What was it that first got you interested in playing the guitar, mandolin or banjo?
My love for music

How long have you been playing and what’s your motivation to play?
Longer than I want to admit. I’d been on & off for years with my guitar. A friend of mine gave me a banjo a few years a go and ever since I’ve had a deep desire learn it.

What’s your favorite lesson on Ben’s site and how has it helped you improve?
I always fall back on his banjo roll studies. I find myself always going back to them and trying to play along with different songs.

What’s your goal when playing?
I really want to be comfortable playing with others. Especially when it’s my turn to do a Break.

Are there any other instruments or genres of music that you enjoy playing?
I appreciate all music although I don’t turn it up near as loud as I used to. These days I also listen to the words of songs a lot more closely.

How long have you been a Gold Pick member?
I want to say about 4 years now!

Do you have a favorite technique? What is it?
still looking for one

If you could play in anyone’s band, who would it be and why?
I would play in my own band, because I’d never get fired. Randy Travis is one of my all time favorite singers it would’ve been pretty neat to play with him or any musician that you look up to and respect.

What type of gear or accessories have you found that work best for you?
I’m really trying to focus on my practice habits. Trying to use the metronome and record myself more. I also like the apps that slow the songs down for me.

If money was no object, what would be your dream instrument(s)?
I really don’t have a dream instrument. I actually dream of mastering an instrument.

If you didn’t have to sleep, what would you do with the extra time?
I really love The Lord and love spending time understanding His Word as He reveals things to me. After that there’s never enough family time. My wife & I love traveling and ministering where we can. And after that I just want to play my banjo.

Anything else you’d like to add?
Ben has been an inspiration to me ever since I met him. There is so much I could say but I’ll just stick with one for now. His camps teach so much more than just learning your instrument, although if you bring a desire to learn how to play, Ben, his instructors, his staff and his students will take you to your next level. You will go home with tools for improving and a few more friends. You will learn it’s not only ok to make mistakes in front of folks, its kind of encouraged. I would encourage you to come as you are take home more than you came with.

Thanks for letting us feature you, @Geno!!!

22 Likes

Hey @Geno congrats man! Great bio.

Ya thats cool. More than just the music that’s inportant.

6 Likes

Great to get to know you!

2 Likes

gif Eugene on being selected as this weeks Gold Pick Member

2 Likes

Congrats Eugene!

3 Likes

Enjoyed your bio and especially your favorite hobbies. Congrats on being the featured gold pick member this week. Keep on picking!

4 Likes

Congrats on being picker of the week! It’s been cool to get to know you a bit at the camps

4 Likes

Congratulations on the picker of the month. You are a good man, Gene. I think last month you also received an award at Cabin Camp…I can’t wait to see what you’re
going to do next month, no pressure.

5 Likes

Congratulations fellow Missourian!

1 Like

:sweat_smile:

1 Like

Congrats on being the gpotw!