Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Endings to flint hill special

I have recently learned to play Flint Hill Special, but I can’t find tab anywhere for the ending. I learn the ending by watching others, but when I write it into the TablEdit file I have trouble keeping up with it. When I watch others play the song it looks and sounds to me like they are playing that long ending at a slower beat. My question is: Is it okay to play the ending slower that the song?

1 Like

Sounds like on Earl’s ending he plays the “chord” part at tempo, then slows down the rest.

The whole ending is solo banjo, so it works well.

1 Like

Larry,
Welcome to the forum community, and making it even stronger by asking and/or answering questions (or like in my case, just offering an opinion). You can make the ending your own…after all, bluegrass is meant to be casual anyway!

1 Like

Earl does slow it down at the end. Could you share a tab of that ending?

1 Like

Thanks for the info. I attached a screenshot of the tab, hope it is helpful.

This tab is my arrangement. at measure 122 the written tab takes place of the tuner for the third string, this is how you would play it without the tuner.

Here’s another one (i think I got it from a book but i can’t recall which). It’s basically the last 5 measures in this screenshot. Measures 1 and 2 (of the last 5) are at speed and the last three measures slow down drastically. Like Larry’s, that last 5-4-5 bend thingy is supposed to be with those tuners but I don’t have them so I just wrote it into the tab to indicate just bending.

Thanks to you both! much appreciated!! I sort of figured out something close to it on my own but after i saw these i realized I wasn’t very close. Really love that song. Now I’ve got a great ending.

1 Like