Forum - Banjo Ben Clark

Elizabeth Sterling from Inverness, Florida!

What was it that first got you interested in playing the guitar, mandolin or banjo?
I’m a 1960s kid - everyone in the bands I liked played an acoustic guitar so I wanted to learn. I became interested in the banjo after doing a guitar lesson with banjo rolls and I loved the way it sounded.

How long have you been playing and what’s your motivation to play?
I started playing when I was 10 or 11 and played into my late 20s. After a long hiatus, I picked up a guitar again in 2012. I purchased a banjo in 2018. I play to relax and to challenge myself. It is totally absorbing. And, sometimes you just have to let the music out!

What’s your favorite lesson on Ben’s site and how has it helped you improve?
I am currently working through the Fingerstyle Course to help my right hand recover from a minor injury. It is so well-designed and is exactly the PT I need right now, plus it’s really fun. I have to make myself stop after 30 minutes to give my hand a rest!

What’s your goal when playing?
I am a finger-style person, but I’d also like to get better with a flat pick. Mostly my goal is to enjoy me-time with my instrument.

How long have you been a Gold Pick member?
I was a Gold Pick member for a year or so and I drifted off - but now I’m back because honestly, Banjo Ben has the best and most comprehensive lessons I’ve seen. I also have more free time now to devote to my practice.

Do you have a favorite technique? What is it?
Fingerstyle, bluegrass banjo.

What type of gear or accessories have you found that work best for you?
I love my Taylor Guitar and my Deering Banjo.

If money was no object, what would be your dream instrument(s)?
I’m really happy with what I have, but I’ve always dreamed of a vintage Martin.

Thanks for letting us feature you @lsterling56 !!!

17 Likes

Guitar picking for physical therapy? That’s awesome!

Congrats on being GPotW, Elizabeth!

10 Likes

@lsterling56, Congrats on being the gpotw! Thanks for sharing a little bit about your musical journey…and providing a little inspiration to us all. :smiley:

4 Likes

Thank you - it was so nice of them to feature me!

5 Likes

Thank you!

2 Likes

Congrats on being the Gold Pick Member of the Week! Enjoyed reading your feature.

4 Likes

Taylor guitars and Deering banjos are my favorites too!

2 Likes

Congrats it’s great to read about you!

3 Likes

Congratulations! i like how u said you sometimes just have to let the music out!

1 Like

Right? Thanks for reading my little bio.

2 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Thank you Scott!

1 Like

Those people Who Know Everything always say, “If you practice enough, you will make to the Opry!”
I see you made it. Congratulations!
It 's probably not as much a thrill as being chosen Gold Picker of the Week, but it’s nice to get out of the house. :grin:

3 Likes

Congrats and welcome! It’s always fun to read other gold pickers’ bios. I hope to see you around the forum!

3 Likes

Congrats Elizabeth and great story on your journey. We’re neighbors, here in Dunnellon from Mesquite NV. Any time you would like to jam let us know Barb plays great rhythm guitar and sings real nice. And I have a few banjos you can try here anytime. Dave Bellian yardmastermodels@aol.com

2 Likes

Thanks so much! Great to know, writing down info.:grinning:

1 Like